you are logged in as
admin cp mod cp
Alerts ()
Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

This is fun, Edward / Jim
jim hawkins
 Posted: 29 Sep 2017, 05:44 PM

Jim always enjoyed talking with his students, having long conversations with them about the theory of magic and of technomancy in particular as much as he enjoyed helping them out any way he could. He loved his job and he loved his students. What he found the most exciting was when they got to make something new. It was a fun process and was always impressed by how much his students were capable of and how many ideas they had.

Currently he was expecting one of his best students. The boy was incredibly smart and he had so many ideas and jim couldn't wait to see what he had in mind today. It had seemed that he had something very exciting to share with him and he felt like a kid waiting for presents as he waited for Edward. In the meantime he had opened the map that his transformation professor had gifted him and gazed into the planets. It was really something else and he didn't think he could ever get bored looking at them.

Edward Elric
PM
^
Edward Elric
 Posted: 7 Oct 2017, 02:55 PM

N/A

Being able to just travel from Durmstrang to Beauxbatons was still pretty neat, even if he had been doing it since the integration of the schools. It was nice to get out of the cold and go somewhere… slightly less cold. Actually, France in autumn wasn’t a bad climate, and Edward could even see himself living somewhere like that at some point in his life - but just not right now.

At the moment, though, he was heading to his technomancy professor’s classroom. Halfway through the first quarter and this was the third time he was being called in to talk to a professor. The other times hadn’t been because of anything negative at school, so he was hoping he’d be three for three and not in trouble with this one either. Approaching the classroom, Edward took a deep breath and raised his fist - the metal one - to knock soundly on the wooden door, the two materials making a rather out-of-place sound as they made contact.

--- jim hawkins

PM
^
jim hawkins
 Posted: 7 Oct 2017, 09:38 PM

Hearing the knock on his door he looked up and smiled. come in he said. Once Edward would come in he would give him a bright and encouraging smile. Indeed there was nothing negative in this meeting at least so Jim thought. He hadn't intended to make his student anxious either. Edward. Come in take a sit. Tell me how do you find the course so far?"he asked.
He would often discuss what he'd teach with his students though this wasn't why Edward was here today. He wanted to discuss some of the ideas the boy had. He figured they could go somewhere with them if he wanted and he could always help, he wanted to offer all the help he could to his students..

He couldn't imagine himself not working with his students. That was why he had become an instructor after all. If one didn't want to work with students why teach he often wondered.

Edward Elric
PM
^
Edward Elric
 Posted: 8 Oct 2017, 04:06 PM

N/A

Pushing open the door, Edward stepped into the classroom. The Beauxbaton classrooms always seemed so much brighter and lighter than the classrooms at Durmstrang, which was all harsh lighting and cold stone. He crossed the room and sat down where the professor had motioned for him to sit.

He offered a shrug, his bright red Durmstrang uniform standing out against the more relaxed tones that seemed to blanket Beauxbatons. His professor, Professor Hawkins, wanted to know what he thought about the class so far. “It’s good, I guess,” he said, rubbing the back of his neck. “It’s a little confusing sometimes but it’s pretty logical to figure out if you look more into it.”

--- jim hawkins

PM
^
jim hawkins
 Posted: 8 Oct 2017, 08:08 PM

It was interesting this partnering of the schools and something Jim loved. There were so many things to learn from the other schools and the students, as well as the teachers, had a lot of access to lessons, libraries, colleagues and so on. One of the things to keep in mind though was that one had to keep in mind different practices as well. Durmstrang didn't have the light and all too familiar feel if Beauxbatons and he was certain that there were those that judged his school's practices now that they could see them so clearly. He shrugged the thoughts off and focused his attention to Edward. It was marvelous really though. Even the color of their uniform was harsher than the Beauxbatons counterpart. It didn't matter though. Each school had its own practices and they came with their own strengths and weaknesses. He didn't kid himself in believing that everything in Beauxbatons was perfect or not able to become better. Having access to different practices meant also having access to ideas that could improve the practices each had in their own home school.

When the boy spoke his mind Jim nodded and gave him an encouraging smile. That's understandable. And if you have any questions you're free to ask. I've always been there to assist my students whenever they needed it. Plus if my students tell me something is overly complicated I can switch it around. he said towards him.

the main reason I called you here today though was to tell you how happy I am with how you're doing. And discuss some of your ideas.
What you mentioned the other day about the technomagic arm was quite interesting and a quite viable and useful idea. And frankly I'm curious about what else it is that you've got in mind.
truth be told Edward and his ideas intrigued him and he was always happy to see his students have ideas and produce new things. It took the field forward and it was the greatest reward to see them happy with what they made and invested in ideas and in making progress.

Edward Elric
PM
^
Edward Elric
 Posted: 15 Oct 2017, 04:28 PM

N/A

The professor suggested asking any questions he might have about anything they covered in class and Edward nodded. “Most of the time, I just make noes over whatever it is and then I just look through the three libraries until I find something close.” Had that sounded rude? “I also just really like the research and reading,” he added. Maybe that made it a little better.

Edward was not exactly known for his tact. In fact, he was known for his short stature and the equally short fuse that he had unfortunately been given at birth.

The technomagic arm concept that he'd brought up the other day in class? That was why he was here? The fingers on his right arm curled and then relaxed, much like how flesh and blood and bone would. “Well, technomagic limbs really shouldn't be that unheard of,” he said, choosing his words carefully. “Probably could be put to good use.”

--- jim hawkins

PM
^
jim hawkins
 Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 07:24 PM

One of the difficulties associated with the intergration was the fact that the three different schools did things in different manners, which of course was to be expected. Beaubatons was on the lighter and more free spirited end of the spectrum and on some occassions and practices Jim himself could be seen as free spirited even by Beauxbatons standards. He had often wondered how his students would react if they knew that back when he was a kid he had gone to Beauxbatons cause his alternative was juvi and well... he really hadn't wanted to go to juvi. Drumstang on the other hand was ... stricter, yeah that was the charictarization he was going to go with. Jim wasn't a judgmental person, really, and he saw the merrit in the ways people did things, or at least tried to either way. He couldn't say he was quite used into the way some of his collegues did things in the other two schools though. Heck he wasn't quite used into the way some of his collegues in his own school did things. He shrugged and focused his attention to Edward. Nowhere was the issue more prominent than when trying to complement the needs of different students. When teaching students that went to Beauxbatons alone it had been easier cause they all had a similar background at least in terms of schooling. With the intergration, which Jim considered a positive thing issues or not, that no longer was the case, at least in courses that students from any school could take, and his was one of them. He did enjoy having students from all three schools, and he did see the opportunity in it to teach more young people about the wonders of technomagic and learn himself at the same time and become a better teacher and person.

Jim sincerelly didn't mind what Edward said. He didn't know the student well yet, but he had picked up on his short fuse and it wasn't something that he took personally. After all he saw it as his job to accomodate his students and do what needed to be done in order for them to flourish and if he dismissed them cause of their personality quirks or cause they weren't easy he'd be left with very few students to teach. He nodded at the young man in front of him and gave him an encouraging smile. "Well you seem to be doing a fine job on your own either way. I mean regardless of whatever initial trouble you might have I can't seem to recall an instance in which you had gotten something wrong when you would talk in class." he offered diplomatically.

He did notice the movement in the boy's arm as he brought up the technomagic limbs and looked at him in the eyes. It would seem that he'd have to chose his next words with care, as it seemed that Edward did as well, something that, in his experience, he didn't do often. "Well sure they're not unheard of. Though there's always room for improvement on an area as useful as this one, and I'm always impressed when students express, for whatever reason, interest in areas of technomagic that can be helpful to a great deal of people." he offered. "And I would want to offer my help if you had something specific in mind, or in any way you'd find useful. I mean that's why I'm here, my job hardly finishes when the bell rings, believe me if I wanted a 9 to 5 job I wouldn't become a teacher." he said towards the boy.

Edward Elric
PM
^
Edward Elric
 Posted: 24 Oct 2017, 10:47 PM

N/A

“Thanks,” he said quietly when Professor Hawkins commended him for seemingly doing a good job on his own. If he had been able to do fine on his own, the entire mess that had happened over summer break before his fifth year wouldn’t have happened at all. “I talk about what I know,” he said rather dismissively with a shrug of those narrow and bony shoulders. Most would tell him that that wasn’t how he was going to learn anything, but Edward disagreed heavily. If he knew about a topic, he joined the conversation. If he didn’t know about the topic at hand, he sat back. He listened. He learned.

The professor noted that technomagic arms, or limbs in general, weren’t unheard of. “My friend is the one who’s more interested in the actual technomagic stuff. I’m just wanting to know how to, uh,” Edward paused, unsure of how to continue. He rubbed the back of his neck with his right arm. “I don’t know. She said it was neat stuff so I thought I’d check it out. Turns out I do know a little bit about some of it - probably only because of her though.” Winry and Granny were both the technomagic geniuses - and they preferred Edward to not bother them when they were working on something that had to do with that specific subsection of magic.

--- jim hawkins

PM
^
jim hawkins
 Posted: 24 Oct 2017, 11:24 PM

Looking at Edward he tried to asses him. He preferred to keep to himself that much was obvious and it would seem that he would rather have everyone else at an arm's length. Listening to him talk it seemed that this route was leading to a dead end. Not offering help to the student of course. But rather the way in which he was doing it.

Your friend sounds like an interesting person. Please do me a favor and next time you talk to her thank her for prompting you my classroom's way. Got a good student as a result. he offered another compliment. Pausing again he thought of something. Same way he didn't know much about Edward, Edward himself didn't know much about him.

You know... Regardless of how or why you found yourself in my class or in Drusmtang it's all the same that you should try to get the most of it. And... I mean it's not like the half assed theory that many people talk about without really knowing what they're talking about. When I was in my first year I wouldn't talk to anybody, I'd keep my head down, go to class,
did what I had to do and I couldn't wait to get back home. It wasn't that i didn't like the classes but I was sure that everyone would judge me. For being muggle born, for being pretty much forced by the ministry to go to school... It wasn't till my second year that my transmutation teacher got through to me. At which point I realized that I was here and I could gain so much from here. Thanks to this man I met my best friend and started experiencing school in a whole different way. Started seeing school as a blessing rather than something I was forced to do.
he paused for a few moments before continuing. When I was a kid I was given a choice. Come here or go to juvi. I chose here as the lesser of two evils... And then they couldn't get rid of me. What I am trying to say Edward is that needing help and grasping the opportunities that you have to become better and excel at what you're already good at isn't a shame.

He had never before told any of his students about the choice he had to make as a kid, at least not while they were still in school. However it would seem that maybe it was something necessary. If Edward had something on him maybe he would open up more, maybe he would realize that he was dealing with a human being not with someone that was just waiting to judge everything for that he did and said.

Edward Elric
PM
^
Edward Elric
 Posted: 3 Nov 2017, 03:53 PM

N/A

Professors had been trying to get through to him for years, but honestly… there wasn’t anything that they could say that could fix the massive mistake he’d made over that one particular summer. Hawkins told him that he had been given the choice of either prison or school, and it was pretty obvious which of the two the man had chosen if he was sitting here in front of him now.

Edward crossed his arms over his chest at the professor’s next words though. “Yeah well being ‘already good’ at something that’s considered evil is pretty much a curse,” he mumbled, more to himself than to Hawkins. “I’m not ashamed of what I’m good at, but I’m not the one who’s good at technomancy. That’s Winry.” Frustrated that the man was treating him like a lost puppy instead of an actual intellectual, Edward pulled the glove off his right hand, the metal glinting in the light. “I mean, she made this. She’s the best I know. I’m just here to know how to not break it so much.”

--- jim hawkins | OOC: Oh Ed. Your fuse is about as long as you are tall.

PM
^
jim hawkins
 Posted: 3 Nov 2017, 04:34 PM

At Edward's words and posture Jim thought of Eddie and decided that maybe his silence on the matter would be more useful than anything he had to say. Many students needed time and, apparently, so did Edward. It wasn't a signal that he was giving up on the boy, the furthest thing from, but trust was something that was built over time. He had pushed enough, and maybe a bit more than that, and so it was time to take a step back. If he wanted Edward to take a step, no matter how small, forward at his own volition he needed to give him the space to do that.

Despite what the boy thought Jim really did appreciate his intelligence and so as the young man mentioned that he wanted a way to not break what his friend had made as much he nodded. That's fair. I'm sure we can come up with something.... Give me a moment I think I've got something that should be helpful here... he said and got up and started looking through books and notebooks and schematics.

It did take a few minutes for him to find what he was looking for but he found it. It was a notebook that he hadn't looked in a while. Here it is... OK lemme see... he said going back at his desk and going through pages. It contained designs and notes, some of them better and more comprehensive than others. There we go... Now this could help probably... It refers to technomagic items that would assist existing tissue instead of replacing it but i think if we put our heads together we can apply the principles here in your case.

Edward Elric
PM
^
Edward Elric
 Posted: 13 Nov 2017, 01:57 PM

N/A

Edward’s golden gaze followed the technomancy professor as he stood and moved around the room. His posture didn’t change, and really the only movement from the small blond boy was his eyes shifting. After a moment, though, his curiosity got the better of him and he stood from his seat, wandering over to where Professor Hawkins stood to rummage among documents and the like.

When the professor went back to his desk, Edward did too, curious to see what it was that had the man up and moving around. “Assisting it? How?” he asked, peering at the notes before crossing his arms over his chest and turning his golden gaze to the older man. He didn’t necessarily want to change anything about his mechanical arm - quite the opposite. While he hated what he had done to cause it, he was rather fond of it - despite the difficulty with casting spells.

--- jim hawkins

PM
^
jim hawkins
 Posted: 13 Nov 2017, 06:30 PM

When Edward got off his seat to join him in looking through the documents he felt a smile crawling up on his lips as he was looking through his library. If you see something you're interested in you're free to take a look or ask about it. The notes I've got I'd like to keep here but the books are more than available for you to borrow if you'd like. he offered.

When Edward asked about what he had said with regards to items that assist existing tissue he pointed at a specific passage of the notes before talking This particular one for example refers to a technomagic synthetic tissue that would be placed in a limp in which the tissue has been severed in a way that can't be restored but isn't destroyed entirely. It would use what already exists and would replace the severed part and would make a combination of actual tissue of the... Wearer I guess you could say with technomagic. What's mentioned after is information on how to prevent it from being damaged by the most common means that would damage the technomagic part or would sever its connection with the actual tissue. It's not the same principle that we seem to have here, which is a very impressive work by the way, but i think we could twig around the principals here to fit them to your situation. It would make it less susceptible to breaking though it wouldn't prevent it entirely. Wouldn't change what it is or what it does just make it more endurant. he said, excitement glinting into his eyes. It was obvious that he was passionate about his job and he loved technomagic so he would be able to talk about different aspects of it endlessly.

Edward Elric
PM
^
Edward Elric
 Posted: 21 Nov 2017, 04:17 PM

N/A

“Thanks,” Edward mumbled dismissively when Professor Hawkins offered to let him borrow any of the books found in his office. Maybe if he promised to stay in the office while he read them, he’d be allowed to read all the notes as well.

The professor pointed at a particular passage and Edward’s golden eyes followed. What else was he supposed to do? He listened quietly for a moment or two before shaking his head. “So, what? It’s supposed to make it look normal? I get that it’s supposed to make it more resilient, but I can just as easily get someone to cast a charm or something on it to do something like that.” He was being a bit bull-headed in all of this, but he didn’t honestly see an issue with it.

Flexing the metal fingers, Edward’s attention slid to the prosthetic for a moment. “I just,” he paused, blowing out a breath. “I just need to know how to fix it if it breaks.”

--- jim hawkins

PM
^
jim hawkins
 Posted: 21 Nov 2017, 06:18 PM

If Jim was bothered by Edward's tone he didn't show it. Truth be told he wasn't. He has a rather long fuse when it came to his students and he had been asked many a time how he managed to be so patient with them. The response was always the same: he loved his students and he loved his job so he couldn't really see any other way of doing things. So he smiled at the boy in front of him as he thanked him despite the dismissive way in which he did. If Ed asked about the notes he'd probably agree to it, though some things he liked keeping to himself... None of them was in his office however so... He'd be thrilled to see interest on Edward's part really.

When the boy spoke in response to what he told him about the notes he looked at him his expression neutral and caring. it wouldn't look normal no. Though if I want to be honest I've devoted little time to making things look more normal... Didn't quite pick my interest though if that's something you'd want I can do the research and see what I come up with. For the most part it would make it more resilient and less likely to have hazardous effects if something goes terribly wrong. he informed the boy. As for the fixing it part I could teach you. We can start with the most common principles and the more likely fixes such a device would need and move on to more complex ones. Of course I'll always be available if you need help with something like that. Some things simply would be a lot easier to do if you have two people working on it. he said towards the boy.

Edward Elric
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll

PORTKEYS

Shadowplay Candyland Couture

HOS Rise of the Believers X-Generation: X-Men Roleplay

YOUR BUTTON HERE!<------- HG OHaV The Beginning Taking It Back INCREDIBLE TO INFINITY AND BEYOND UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED ------->YOUR BUTTON HERE!

skin created by Jenna of shine, caution, atf, candyland, and wecode.