you are logged in as
admin cp mod cp
Alerts ()
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Passing Potions 101, Tag: Ty
Dakota Teton
 Posted: 15 Nov 2017, 05:01 PM

N/A

One of the things that he was assigned to do as the potions apprentice was to help those that were struggling a bit. Honestly, in Dakota’s opinion, if the kids were struggling then they just needed to be given more time, not a teacher breathing down their neck telling them how wrong they were - but it wasn’t his decision and he did as he was told. However, he didn’t want these tutoring sessions to be the boring same old same old that kids probably learned to dread by winter break of their first year.

No.

So instead of holding this particular potions tutoring session in the cold and horribly-lit dungeons or one of the spare classrooms, Dakota had dragged everything that would be needed for the lesson out onto the grounds. It was a rare warmer day during the fall months and the sun was shining and dammit he was going to take advantage of that.

Setting things up just far enough back on the shore of the lake so that he knew the water wouldn’t reach it - and so that they’d be a good distance away from annoying the merfolk, Dakota took a seat and sat crosslegged, waiting for the student to come along.

Hopefully he didn’t get lost.

--- ty ericson

PM
^
ty ericson
 Posted: 20 Nov 2017, 07:24 AM

N/A

I'm Tigger! That's T-I-Double G-ER!
It had only taken two wrong turns (hey, typically there was a mass of humanity to follow to help guide him) before Ty had found the potions classroom...and the note pinned on the door. "Oh no! Oh no oh no." Ty grabbed at his hair-as if that was going to help him get to the lake faster-before turning on his heel and running back down the corridor.

Funny enough, he had no trouble leaving the castle.

But he didn't want to be late! Oh no that would not be good at all. That was his problem half the time trying to navigate the castle and get from the tower to the great hall and everywhere in between and it was just hard. It didn't help that the staircases hated him. Or at least Ty thought they hated him. They always seem to start shifting just as he reached them.

The other problem? He also didn't homework well on some stuff. Like potions. And transfiguration. But mainly potions. And it was this train of thought that finally brought him hurrying to the lake, and the set up Dakota (? Ty was pretty sure that's who the potions master had said he was meeting) had put together.

"I'm here I'm here I'm here!" the small Gryffindor said, the words coming out in a rush. He went to check his wrist...only to remember he hadn't put his watch on that morning. It was probably still in his dorm. "...I'm not late am I??" Oh gosh please say he wasn't late he was trying really really hard to be on time.

CODED BY ELECTRIC OF SHINE

~*~*~
Tagged: Dakota Teton
Notes: so sorry for the delay!
Outfit: -i need to make this smol's uniform still-
PM
^
Dakota Teton
 Posted: 24 Nov 2017, 05:05 PM

N/A

A flurry of footsteps and a very repetitive chanting of ‘I’m here’ signaled the student’s arrival and Dakota gave the boy a warm smile as he rushed over to where Dakota had set everything up. The poor child was worried that he was late and Dakota shook his head. “No, you’re not late, don’t worry.” Dakota patted the ground nearby to let the boy know he could sit. “I have a bit of a problem with time in the traditional sense. The lesson begins when you arrive, and now that you’re here, you are right on time and we can begin.” That was life on the reservation talking. Outsiders had referred to it as ‘village time’. Things happened when they happened and not a moment too soon. “How do you feel you’re doing in potions?” he asked as a lead in.

--- ty ericson | OOC: I figured this would be a good potion for them to work on?

PM
^
ty ericson
 Posted: 5 Jan 2018, 08:43 AM

N/A

Ty flopped on the ground unceremoniously, a wave of relief washing over him. He wasn't late. This was good. This was great! Now...he just needed to make it a habit for everything else. And remember his watch. And the times he was supposed to go to places.

Although it appeared he didn't really need that for when he met with Dakota. "Oh!" He wasn't late. He couldn't be late if it was 'on time' when he showed up. But then his heart fell a little bit. Was he the only one in this class doing so spectacularly in potions?

Speaking of how well he was doing, how well was he doing? "Um...I think it's oookay...ish?" Ty answered with a sheepish shrug. Although he knew his homework thus far said otherwise. At least the potion potions looked how the potions master said most of the time...half of the time...ish. "I mean, I got the Wide Eye potion to work. Mostly. It was the right color and didn't explode or anything!" Not exploding or doing things that were totally and completely weird was always a good thing.

~*~*~
Notes: ahhh this took so long im sorry! >_< and yes! good potion!
Outfit: -the smol's uniform at some point-
PM
^
Dakota Teton
 Posted: 7 Jan 2018, 07:25 PM

N/A

The kid seemed to be rather happy that he wasn’t late but was a bit disheartened that he was the only student present. “Okay-ish is better than bad,” he pointed out. “Wide Eye potion can be a little difficult sometimes, but it is a good one to know,” he said and then laughed. “Not exploding is generally a good thing to look for in a potion.”

His brown eyes drifted from the boy’s fiery red hair to the cauldron that he’d prepared for this session. “I picked a pretty easy one to work on today, but it does take awhile to process. The first part alone can take an hour. The second part is actually pretty quick and painless, for the most part. Do you wanna guess which one we’ll be doing?”

--- ty ericson | OOC: Potion for Quick Reference

PM
^
ty ericson
 Posted: 8 Jan 2018, 04:23 AM

N/A

Dakota did have a point. At least okay-ish was a little bit above bad. But...it was still enough that he needed more help. Ty perked up a little when he mentioned the difficulty of the Wide Eye potion. If he at least got the right color did that mean he did it right??

Ty's eyes also went to the cauldron, and the different ingredients laid out. River Lethe Water, branchy ones, and what looked like mistletoe. He knew what this one was...but the name just wouldn't come to him! And a long part and a super fast part? "...not the quick and painless part?" he asked in the same sheepish tone.

It'd be too easy if it was the other bit.

~*~*~
Notes: I think I actually made this one on pottermore one time
Outfit: -his uniform at some point-
PM
^
Dakota Teton
 Posted: 14 Jan 2018, 04:20 PM

N/A

This kid seemed completely lost. Dakota offered him a smile and laughed - not at the boy, just at the general dazed look that the boy seemed to have on his face. “You’re not wrong,” he said, grin staying firmly planted on his lips. He was fine with taking a step back and slowing down. He didn’t know a single thing about this particular student, only that he was left to make sure he didn’t fail.

And Dakota was determined to make sure to try and help prevent students from failing. Hence the opportunity for a remedial lesson. It wasn’t completely mandatory, but it certainly would help. “It’s the forgetfulness potion. Good to use on brothers or sisters - or even friends if they want to rat you out for something,” he explained. Was it a good idea to give children mischievous ideas? Eh, Dakota didn’t think too much about it.

“Aaaaand it may or may not be something you want to know how to do for your potions final.” Dakota grinned at that as well.

PM
^
ty ericson
 Posted: 16 Jan 2018, 06:03 AM

N/A

Ty's shoulders slumped. Of course it wouldn't be the easy part, since when was anything he learned or did in class the easy part? But he could do this. There weren't as many distractions, it wasn't dark or cold, and there wasn't a professor breathing down his neck. This would work better, right? Right?

"Aw, I knew it!" It wasn't that Ty was a bad student, he just sucked at focusing on anything for a long period of time...which was basically potions in a nutshell. And he had read on the Forgetfulness Potion for a homework. Err...more like he skimmed the textbook...but it was something! He didn't wing potions all the time.

He smiled at Dakota's listed uses for the potion. While he didn't have any brothers or sisters...but Kona always nagged at him and never seemed to forget when he messed up. It probably wasn't the proper use of the potion, but what people didn't remember wouldn't hurt anyone, right? Except...oh gosh did Dakota say final?

"The final?? Really?" Oh geez he wasn't ready to be thinking about finals already it was only...oh crud finals were a month away. "Um...okay, okay. So how does this potion work?" He had to pass potions, he had to. He didn't want to be forever stuck with first years (although no one was probably going to be able to tell if he didn't get any taller).

~*~*~
Notes: this smol I can't. Also Kona=Coney=Rabbit XD
Outfit: -need this child's uniform-
PM
^
Dakota Teton
 Posted: 22 Feb 2018, 01:53 PM

N/A

Dakota nodded when the boy stared at him once he learned that this potion had a high chance of being one of the ones to be brewed for the final for first years. It seemed to light a fire under the kid’s butt, at least, and that was good enough for Dakota. “Once you get used to it, it’s actually not that hard. It’s just the waiting that gets annoying because it takes so long.” Dakota offered Ty another warm smile in hopes of encouraging him to not be so damn panicky about all of this. The fact that the kid was taking him up on the tutoring was a sign to the man that he wanted to learn, he just maybe didn’t learn so great in the standard classroom environment. That was completely fine. Truth be told, Dakota’s only decent subject had been potions because it was much more hands-on than most of the other subjects that Ilvermorny had covered.

“For the first part of the potion, only two of the ingredients go in,” Dakota said, picking up the triangle-shaped bottle that held the Lethe river water and the handful of small leafy sprigs adorned with white blossoms. “The river water goes in first, but only a couple of drops. Two if you’re going by the books. A couple if you’re eyeballing it.” Dakota was notorious for just eyeballing measurements anyways. Luckily for him, he was good at it. He hadn’t always been, but his mother’s constant requirement for him to get better made him quite good at judging measurements without the measuring tools. “Once you drop the water in, count to twenty - but not too fast. You want to make sure that you give it a good full twenty seconds to heat up. Once you do that, you add the Valerian.”

PM
^
ty ericson
 Posted: 2 Mar 2018, 01:57 AM

N/A

Ew. Waiting? Maybe that was why he was struggling in Potions so much, besides the fact he focused as much as a rock could sing. Ty was not one for patience. Especially if he couldn't see just why he had to wait. Like watching paint dry, or grass grow, or for literally anything to happen in class.

But if the potion was going to be on the final, oh gosh he had to learn it. He needed to pass potions! "Okay, okay." Two drops of water...just two? "Why only two? How is two drops supposed to do anything?" Two drops wasn't even enough to drink of normal water, how was a potion supposed to come out of it? He added it anyways to the little cauldron in front of him, and started counting. Slowly. At least he thought it was slowly. "One hippogriff, two hippogriff..."

By the time he hit twenty hippogriffs, he wasn't expecting there to be anything left in the cauldron. But there was. Somehow. Wait...why? That didn't make any sense. Okay...twiggy things. Valerian. "Uh...how much of the Valerian again?" He knew he was supposed to know...but the little Gryffindor was still trying to process just how two drops of a liquid managed to hold up so well.

~*~*~
Notes: I can't even rn XD
Outfit: -need to make one for the smol-
PM
^
Dakota Teton
 Posted: 22 Mar 2018, 01:14 PM

N/A

The moment Dakota mentioned that this particular potion required quite the wait time, the boy made a face and it took a decent amount of self-control to not laugh out loud at the boy’s reaction. “Oh come on, waiting isn’t all that bad. I’m sure we’ll find something to do to wait it out.” He wasn’t sure just how fun that would sound like to an eleven-year-old, though. Hanging out with the teacher was never considered ‘cool’. Didn’t matter the location or generation.

He lifted his shoulders in a shrug when Ty asked why they only used two drops of the river water. “It’s the way it’s always been done,” he said, going for the sage teacher vibe, but ending up sounding more like he actually didn’t know the answer to the boy’s question. “I’d love to be able to give you a sound reasoning why two drops of water actually does anything, but I can’t. Sometimes magic can’t be explained, and you have to reach a point where you’re okay with it, but not completely sold on it. Or else you’ll never explore it and learn new things.” Wow, okay, that actually sounded good. He mentally gave himself a high five for that one.

As Ty began counting to twenty, Dakota counted along with him, mouthing the numbers as his attention went to the lake nearby. Perhaps while they waited, they could walk along the shore or something. The lake seemed to stretch on for forever. Ty’s question brought him back to the cauldron, though, asking him how much of the Valerian he needed to use. Dakota held out a handful of the small twigs. “Only two,” he said. “Stir it clockwise after that, then give your wand a little wave. You did bring your wand, right?” he asked, teasingly. “After that, we just wait.”

PM
^
ty ericson
 Posted: 27 Mar 2018, 08:42 PM

N/A

Well, at least it didn't sound like he was going to have to sit there and watch the potion every second of the wait period. He'd be bouncing of the hypothetical walls if he had to do that. Although he was pretty good about not doing that in the actual potions class, partially because he had other people to talk to. But...he wasn't sure about Dakota. Although he had made it so they didn't have to sit in a dungeon and discuss why two drops of water managed to do anything.

Because 'it just is' sounded kinda dumb. And Ty clearly didn't entirely buy that reason. But it got better. "Ohh..." Well, 'because magic was magic' wasn't much different from 'it just is.' "How long does it take to get to 'not enitrely sold on magic' explaining everything then?" Ty accepted that magic did some things just because it was magic, it was how home home managed to function, but he still eyed the two drops now sitting in his cauldron rather critically.

Another just two?? Ty seriously did not understand potions sometimes. Nevertheless, he took two of the twigs from Dakota and dropped them in the cauldron. He expected something miraculous...but nothing happened. "Ookay." Ty stirred the cauldron's contents, clockwise, staring intently at the little bit of water and the two sticks. They...didn't seem to be doing much.

Wand. "Yeah, I have that!" Better question was where did he put it. Wand wand wand. He patted down his pockets, feeling for his wand. He knew he had it. His watch was still sitting in his dorm, but he knew his wand was...wait it was in his bag! Ty pulled the strap of his backpack over and unzipped it. There it was, poking it out of the wand. "Ha!"

Ty waved his wand over the cauldron...to see still nothing happening. And now...the wait. "We wait. What exactly is it supposed to be doing now?" Heck, what were they supposed to be doing now?

~*~*~
Notes: impatient/curious bean
Outfit: His Uniform, finally
PM
^
Dakota Teton
 Posted: 10 Apr 2018, 04:20 PM

N/A

Dakota grinned at Ty’s question. “Well,” he said, leaning towards the boy, an impish grin on his face. “I guess that’s something that you have to decide for yourself.”

Ty didn’t seem too convinced that only two of the sprigs would work but Dakota let him continue working. It was what the instructions were. An eyebrow rose when the student went scrambling around to find his wand to be able to do that part of the process.

“It sits and it simmers, like a stew. Your family ever make stew?” he asked, trying to find something to relate this experience to something that the young boy might already know. “It’s got to sit and cook for a little bit. For a long bit, actually,” he said, quickly correcting himself. “What do you want to do to kill time?”

PM
^
ty ericson
 Posted: 28 Apr 2018, 05:50 AM

N/A

Something he had to decide for himself. To Ty it sounded like a fancier way of saying that Dakota didn't really know. 'Well when did you figure it out for yourself?" There, better guesstimate about how long it'd be. Cause Ty was not the most patient child in the world.

Clearly.

Because, because, now they had to wait. For the potion to do...something. If it could do something. It was so little. What was a wand wave and sitting going to do to it?

But ooh food. That was something that Ty understood. "Yeah! My mum does a lot, closer to Chirstmas. Hogwarts stew is okay, but it's just not the same." It was something that he could look forward to when the fall term was actually over. And he had made the potion for the potion final. And not failed. Ew. Now it felt like home food was rather far off on the horizon again.

Ty was not expecting that question. What did he want to do to kill time? "So we don't have to watch it the entire time?" That was loads better than when he had to be in the dungeons with all the rest of the the first year Gryffindors and Slytherins. Ooh but that didn't answer Dakota's question. What to do what to do...

"Oh, rock skipping?" That'd take a while, right? Right? There was an hour of waiting to do, Ty wasn't sure what else they could do if they needed to be sort of near by the cauldron in case something actually did happen.

~*~*~
Notes: i just did a lab this week and i can rationalize two drops of stuff doing things catch up Ty lol
Outfit: -need to reupload his uniform set-
PM
^
Dakota Teton
 Posted: 12 May 2018, 02:44 PM

N/A

Dakota just laughed at Ty’s reaction and the countered question. “Honestly? Sometimes I don’t think I have it figured out at all,” he admitted. It was better to be truthful, especially with children, than it was to put on a facade and act as if he had everything all figured out. Kids were smarter than the average adult seemed to think they were.

Things seemed to click about when Dakota brought up stew, and Ty was quick to say that his mother made stew around Christmas and that while the stew at Hogwarts was good, it wasn’t the same. “Well, yeah,” he said with a knowing nod. “Nothing’s ever as good as when mom makes it. Are you planning on going home for Christmas?” he asked, knowing that winter break was coming up for students pretty soon.

He shook his head in answer when Ty verbally verified that they didn’t have to watch it. “Not really. If anything goes horribly wrong, we’ll be able to smell it before it does anything dangerous.” There was just something about river water that when it went bad, it went bad. Ty suggested rock skipping to pass the time and Dakota pushed himself to his feet, glancing over his shoulder to see if the young boy was following. “Sounds good to me,” he said. “You go first.”

OOC Pt 2: Tfw you have to check when the thread was originally started to see if it was before or after Christmas holiday >.<

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

PORTKEYS

Shadowplay Candyland Couture RPG-D

HOS

Rise of the Believers X-Generation: X-Men Roleplay

YOUR BUTTON HERE!<------- HG OHaV The Beginning INCREDIBLE TO INFINITY AND BEYOND UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED Break the Wheel: a Season 8 GOT AU PJRPG -------> YOUR BUTTON HERE

skin created by Jenna of shine, caution, atf, candyland, and wecode.