Alerts ()

Add Reply
New Poll

miss atomic bomb, gladys/shane
michelle rattmann
 Posted: 27 Nov 2017, 08:02 PM

N/A

Cast out of the night, well you've got a foolish heart,
So you took your place but the fall from grace was the hardest part.
Life, as far as Chell could tell, was good. She was very rarely of the opinion that it wasn't good, truth be told. Even when she'd been run through the gauntlet, life had been good enough. All of her limbs had been intact, and one day Chell had managed to stare down a lethal device without her heartrate rising one bit, and that had been the greatest success of all. That had been the best day.

She practically prowled through the hallway, a box tucked snugly under one strong arm, a hand supporting the bottom of it. There was an amused expression on her face, the faint wrinkling of her nose, the upward quirk of part of her lip. A near-mute, an unspeakable. Chell'd taken the position for the joke of it.

Plus, from what she'd been told, it was like being a magical secret agent. That was cool. It'd keep her nose out from where they didn't want it. Less cool. Less alright. But Chell had occupied herself with less, and if the Ministry kept her at the office doing paperwork, she could put up with it for a finite amount of time before she looked at the Ministry, cocked her head, and wondered what they were hiding from her. But, the thing was, if Chell was being honest, she was already wondering: there'd been an anxiety about hiring her on, almost as if they thought that Chell'd go digging for others' dirty laundry.

She only did that when she was bored. Some of the time. Or if they made her mad enough to try.

But, admittedly, she had more personal reasons for what she was doing. The dark-haired woman flicked hair out of her eyes and began to whistle, shoving air between the faint gap in her front teeth. A keychain spun rapidly around a finger, the free wrist working it in rapid, quick, equally-whistling circles. Typically, this was the only noise that Chell made.

Once she reached her destination, though, which was a detour from where she had intended to go, Chell laughed softly, tongued her teeth, and set her box down against a door. The door was already open. Maybe someone had just left? Chell put a hand in the doorway, fingers splayed, and whistled, quick and alerting, a cheeky grin crossing her face. She didn't even sign, yet--she just let her 'old friend' get a good look at who had managed to divebomb back into her life.

gladys johnson

PM
^
gladys johnson
 Posted: 28 Nov 2017, 11:34 AM

N/A

It feels just like a dagger buried deep in your back

Gladys was still largely dissatisfied with her current job assignment. To be sure, there was nothing monotonous about her job at the Ministry, especially because she was being kept under a far more watchful eye. And there was always plenty of work to be done. It just wasn't the same. Instead of overseeing dangerous and exhilarating tests, she oversaw standardized nonlethal experimentation. She cleared and finalized blueprints and budgets, and gave orders to blundering interns.

Well, that last part was the same, at least. One of them, who was particularly afraid of her, had just delivered his own set of schematics that he was determined to work on. Normally, she wouldn't have even considered the idea. But if whatever he managed to make ended up exploding or causing everyone to vomit violently for a week, at least it would be entertaining. She hummed to herself softly as she looked over them, already noting several issues with the design.

An abrupt whistle snapped Gladys out of the blueprints she had been bent over. She lifted her head and adjusted her glasses to glance toward the door, hoping to catch some foolish person to berate for making such noise in the hallway. What -- or, rather, who -- she saw instead caused every muscle in her body to stiffen up. Meanwhile, her stomach felt like it was going to drop through her chair. Gladys' eyes widened in disbelief, but then narrowed as she gave the younger woman a critical and searching once-over.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, rising to her feet slowly. There was no logical explanation for Chell's presence. They wouldn't have given her a job at the Ministry, surely? Why'd they even let her in to begin with? A rush of emotion swept through her and she felt her face grow hot; fear of being exposed again, anger and frustration, a flood of relief that she was getting to see her -- No. Not that. Her anger sharpened and pulsed, almost on cue, to stifle any of that fluttering nonsense.

"If you came all this way to ruin my life again I'm afraid you're going to be sorely disappointed." She crossed her arms and came to stand at the front of her desk. But Gladys was too afraid to venture any further. It's wasn't her safety she feared for, but instead her own roiling emotions.

MITZI
PM
^
michelle rattmann
 Posted: 28 Nov 2017, 10:22 PM

N/A

Curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction brought him back, and Chell was incredibly satisfied. There was a cool expression on her face, the faintest quirk of her brows, the curl of a smile upon her lips. Perhaps she shouldn't have been so smug, but Chell was never able to hide her emotions well. It was one of her weaknesses, and had been since she was a child. Frankly, Chell didn't consider it that much of a weakness. People didn't have to worry about Chell stabbing them in the back, primarily because she'd show them the metaphorical knife first. Fairness, and all that.

Gladys was a sight for sore eyes. Chell didn't quite know when that particular train of thought had started, but she didn't fight it. There was no desire to. Chell accepted things as they happened. She'd been more anxious, once, but Gladys and her regiment of...experiments...had rendered Chell void of that particular response. Maneuvering out of lethal situations constantly did that to a person. So, as Gladys really got a view of her in the doorway, Chell raised a hand up, winked, and clicked a finger-pistol motion at her good old friend. The question was poised. Chell stood up straight and let her eyebrows raise up, then placed a hand on her chest before reaching up, hands moving.

"Me?" She signed, innocuous. "I work here. I am an Unspeakable." Chell paused, tilted her head somewhat. The woman's face was always expressive, and that was true even now, what with the mischief in her eyes, the grin that was forming again on her lips. "Isn't that funny? An unspeakable. Get it?" Of course Gladys would get it, because Gladys was smart and all that bullshit. Chell had actually taken the position for other reasons, but the joke was one that Chell could never actually pass up. She could see the coloration of Gladys' face and tilted her own head again, brows furrowing then one raising up quizzically, before-

"No, not trying to ruin your life. Besides, I didn't have to try. And I didn't ruin it. I just caused a complication. You're still alive and it's not ruined, and here we are! Fancy meeting you here." Of course, she'd known Gladys was here. 'Maybe I took this job to see you again, though. That's a possibility that's on the table." Since Gladys appeared not to want to venture forth, Chell met her halfway and lazily strolled through the doorway, coming to lean slightly on the woman's desk.

That smile spread.

Hands flicked, quickly. "So. What're you up to? Running any lethal tests, or did they cut that out? Shame if they did, because I do have to say some of that shit was pretty cool. Those boots? I wish I could get my hands on them again." It was true! Chell wasn't so foolish as to be unable to appreciate the scientific marvels before her. And the lady marvel before her too, if she was being honest, but it wasn't like anyone was asking, so it didn't matter.

gladys johnson

PM
^
gladys johnson
 Posted: 29 Nov 2017, 11:33 PM

N/A

Gladys could see the smugness on the other woman's face and she tried to look as unaffected as possible, but the redness lingered around her cheekbones. It probably stood out very obviously against her pale skin, so there was no taking it back or masking it at that point. Her mouth was a hard line as she fought the vague sense of panic, confusion, and dread. And, not to mention, that strange feeling of elation that threatened to tip the rest of those emotions overboard. She hated that more than anything. It didn't make any sense. She should hate Chell for what had happened. Beyond that hatred that she so desperately wanted to feel, the younger woman was worthless to her, especially now. Why did she care so much?

""Ha ha." Gladys rolled her eyes exaggeratedly along with a very sarcastic laugh. "Very funny. But I don't believe you. Why would they hire you?" Her speech was faster and more clipped than normal due to her agitation. "Other than the fact that you already can't speak, of course. I suppose in a literal sense you're the best candidate for the job... But do they know about your little predilection for secret spilling?" Chell was much more 'talkative' than she had been before. Gladys was having a difficult time following some of what she was signing, mostly due to lack of practice and exposure. But it was all swiftly coming back to her.

Was Chell really denying that she had ruined her life? Gladys' eyes narrowed again as the young woman moved closer to her. She had to fight the urge to move away, back behind her desk. It would just succeed in making her look more bothered than she already did. And she didn't want to give Chell the satisfaction of knowing that she had gotten to her. "You did ruin it. You destroyed everything I worked for, everything I sacrificed for." Her tone was surprisingly measured and calm, but she rounded on Chell, coming to stand directly in front of her. It wasn't as effective when there wasn't a layer of glass between the two of them. She also noted that Chell would be taller than her if it weren't for the heels she was wearing. "Now I'm stuck here. And I can tell you think it's hilarious."

She watched Chell's hands and furrowed her brow. Obviously she was just here to rub salt in Gladys' still very fresh wounds, despite the fact that some time had passed. "No. They have different ... technological goals." Gladys would leave it at that. Chell didn't need to know that the Ministry had no idea about what had occurred previously. The cover story was that her facility had been disbanded due to budget cuts, connections to MACUSA scourged and covered up. A lie. "I could easily cook something up for you though, if you really miss it that much," she added with a derisive smirk.

MITZI
PM
^
michelle rattmann
 Posted: 28 Dec 2017, 04:12 AM

N/A

Gladys could see her smugness and Chell could see the discontent and irritation. It was a dance, between the two of them; a waltz that Chell gave herself to with no hesitation. There was the thin line of Gladys' mouth. Chell's nostrils flared. There was something else there, too, rumbling and turning itself over in her guts. A definite sense of elation. A sense of pleasure at the closeness, at the resuming of this age-old entanglement of ideals. There were few that Chell felt the desire to grapple with (and Gladys was absolutely one of them, truth be told). Teeth flashed and hands moved.

It was almost dismissive.

Almost, but Chell's eyes lingered on the curvature of Gladys' face, perceiving and trying to grasp the way she responded to the news: "Complications. They know I dig. Put me here. Maybe I asked. Okay. I asked. But I swear it was only easy for me to get here because they knew I would get bored in America and go digging. So here I am." Then, her fingers flicked into a cheeky thumbs-up gesture.

They were close, now, though, and Chell tilted her head, unable to keep the sly expression off of her face. Something flickered in the eyes, something showed in the curvature of the browline. Chell was scheming, perhaps. Or maybe she was just gloating. Here was Gladys, no longer behind a bulletproof glass pane, no longer so untouchable, almost as if Chell could reach and-

...that was a thought that caught Chell off guard, and for a moment it showed on her face. Concern, perhaps. "Your sacrifice was built off of the people who died for it," Chell signed, huffing. "Of course I think it's hilarious. Though if it's as corrupt here as they hinted to me..." She let her signing trail off before shaking her head and continuing.

"I won't disrupt you again. Unless you start...you know. Doing that again. Then I'll have to, I think. For the sake of proper-" The comment caught Chell off guard. The younger woman swung to the tips of her toes and squared up her shoulders, jabbing an accusatory finger at Gladys and signing so quickly that it would be nearly impossible to read.

Then she slowed. "You're the worst. Worst. You couldn't think up a test that could stop me, anyhow. Ha ha ha." gladys johnson

[/QUOTE]
PM
^
gladys johnson
 Posted: 10 Jan 2018, 02:03 AM

N/A

She would be lying if she said she didn't miss this, this satisfying back and forth. Few people could keep up with her. And even fewer deliberately engaged with her in such a way. She didn't blame them. She could be cold and cruel with her words. For some reason, Chell tolerated it enough to come crawling back for more. Gladys wasn't sure why but it made for good fun. And, deep down, she felt a hint of respect for Chell that she didn't feel for others. She was intelligent, sure, but she was also relentless. Agressive when need be. Of course, she hated the younger women but she also admired her.

Gladys watched her signing with narrowed eyes, moving her mouth along with her translating. Once she was finished she rolled her eyes and let out an exasperated sigh. "Good to know they'll just tell anyone where I'm working now." Although that was so like MACUSA. They didn't care about her. They cared about what she gave them, which she supposed was fair. She didn't care about any of them either.

The proximity was new and a bit overwhelming although Gladys masked her discomfort with ease. Well, almost. One of her hands reached out to her desk as she leaned against it for support. She didn't understand the feelings that she was experiencing, and it was disconcerting to feel anything at all. As usual, it was an awful experience. Whatever was going on inside manifested as a frown on her face, eyes raking over Chell suspiciously.

She caught the flash of concern in Chell's eyes and felt her own confusion stirring. There was something going on, but she couldn't quite figure out what it was. But there was more signing to distract herself with, so she quickly dismissed the uncertainty. "It was collateral damage." Clive's words coming out of her mouth. "Lives sacrificed to enrich the lives of others."

Gladys laughed harder than she'd laughed in a while at Chell jabbing a finger at her, tossing her head back and bringing up one hand to cover her mouth. But the moment was over quickly, as she stood up straight again and ran a hand through her hair, face hardening into a frown again.

"No." And real venom entered her tone. "You're the worst. And I could stop you very easily. Here I have the benefit of not needing to keep you alive. No one will even notice you're gone." Which was a lie. Because she would. And she would miss her. That realization was like acid in her throat.

MITZI
PM
^
michelle rattmann
 Posted: 22 Feb 2018, 09:31 PM

N/A

She's satisfied with all of this, even though Chell knows she shouldn't be. She should be raising a Von Karma-esque fit at the sight of Gladys before her, but Chell can't bring herself to do so. Why should she, really? Just the conventions of others? Their relationship has been something other than that, anyways. A cat-and-mouse game. The kind of game that Chell shouldn't enjoy, but does. Of course she's aggressive, of course she stakes what's hers, of course she shows her teeth and fights, because what reason does Chell have not to?

"I had to ask a few times. Ok? Settle down. It's not that bad. They only told me because they wanted me out of their hair. MACUSA is a disgusting mess." Chell's signing slowed as she flicked her eyes down to where Gladys' hand fell on the desk, supported her against it. There was something, fierce and possessive and deep, that tore through Chell's gut, and she blinked, raised her brows.

The woman had enough experience to know what she was feeling.

She also wasn't surprised who she was feeling it for.

Lips twisted into a scowl and Chell's hands flew. "Collateral damage. Lives sacrificed! I bet it was fun. I can't blame you. We all do dumb shit for fun." Eyes narrowed, and Chell's almost challenging deliberately here, showing her hand a bit too much. "I-"

The laugh, though-

Chell's eyes went wide, and she stopped mid sentence, watching the way Gladys tossed back her hair. The moment before Gladys hardened her expression again, Chell found herself swallowing, eyes transfixed, because the beauty of the woman had struck her hard. Perhaps it was why the following tirade left Chell a bit wounded, more than she'd normally be. Chell sucked in a breath and chewed on her lip, shaking her head.

"You'd miss me." Chell signed, brows raising. "And you're right, nobody would notice, but you would. You'd know!" A finger pointed, again. "I don't care too much about living or dying anymore but you'd miss me and we both know it." And the both of them likely knew why Chell's sense of self-preservation was so skewed these days, too.

gladys johnson

I haven't written in a hot minute so this post really does show that oops
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

PORTKEYS

Shadowplay Candyland Couture RPG-D

HOS

Rise of the Believers X-Generation: X-Men Roleplay

YOUR BUTTON HERE!<------- HG OHaV The Beginning INCREDIBLE TO INFINITY AND BEYOND UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED Break the Wheel: a Season 8 GOT AU PJRPG -------> YOUR BUTTON HERE

skin created by Jenna of shine, caution, atf, candyland, and wecode.