you are logged in as
admin cp mod cp
Alerts ()
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Home is Where the Heart Is, Tag: Judith Harris
Nicholas Wilde
 Posted: May 7 2017, 02:46 AM

Word had gotten around that he’d been helping out the warden during the time that the warden’s darling dearest had been attacked and arrested. If Nick ever found out who had spilled the beans, he was going to throttle them. Finch had been so pissed that for the first three minutes that Nick was standing in the man’s office, he just stared at the conman with a bright red face, bristle brush mustache looking extra Hitler-esque.

Apparently nobody knew the specifics though, and nobody seemed to have a clue just how big of a part that Nick had played in the whole thing. So what if he was being accused of trying to sabotage the warden’s assistant. That guy was fucking insane anyways.

His punishment, though? Apparently they couldn’t keep such an untrustworthy person with the Ministry – which made Nick question why they’d ever agreed to work with a convicted criminal in the first place but what the fuck ever. His punishment was that the Ministry wasn’t going to continue their agreement that had been made with the MACUSA anymore. No longer would Nick have a place to live, and he wouldn’t be considered a Ministry worker either.

His leash was being shortened, and he was livid.

“So where am I supposed to live if I ain’t gettin’ paid shit?” he asked Finch, having to shove his hands into his hoodie pocket to prevent using some very vulgar gestures towards the stiff.

“Honestly, Wilde, I don’t give a rat’s ass where you live. I’m sure you’ll find a place to stay, although I’ve heard under the bridge is nice this time of year.”

Nick bit the inside of his cheek at that and just shook his head, staring at Finch. “How long I got?” To move what little shit he had.

Finch shrugged as if they were talking about something so much less important than Nick’s shelter. “End of the day.”

“Are you fucking serious?”

Finch glared at him. “Don’t make this any worse, Wilde.” It was like a challenge. Make it worse, he seemed to say. Give me a reason to lock your ass up.

--- @judith harris

PM
^
judith harris
 Posted: May 7 2017, 03:33 AM

Of course, bad things had to come after the good and upon not finding Nick in her office, Judy went to Finch. She was stopped outside the door by a fellow auror, who advised her not to go inside and filled her in on the current situation. Nudy saw red and strode in before wands could be drawn. The tension in the room could be cut with a knife and she took the moment of silence her intrusion bought to speak. "I'll take him. And he can stay on as my criminal informant." There was no hesitation as Judy looked right at Finch, who struggled for a moment to reply.

@Nicholas Wilde
PM
^
Nicholas Wilde
 Posted: May 8 2017, 03:12 PM

What was he going to do? Where was he going to go? As much as he bitched about wanting to go home to Hell’s Kitchen, he most certainly didn’t have the funds to be able to get there on his own.

For a moment, Nick’s mind slipped to the black market. He could easily make the money he needed – even if it would put him higher up on the Ministry’s shit list – not to mention the MACUSA’s shit list. And the No-Majs cops who just absolutely loved dealing with him.

Finch’s office door flew open and there was Judith Harris, standing there in all of her five foot two glory, looking about as angry as a hornet. She either had been eavesdropping or she’d known about this beforehand, which made Nick suspicious of her for a moment or two. No… if she had known, she would have prepared him for this.

Wait, the fuck was she saying? She’d take him? Nick bowed his head a bit at the thought of that. Here they were again, not partners, but animal and handler. He clenched his jaw at the phrase ‘criminal informant’, even though he knew that she meant no harm by it.

“Harris, you’re already up to your eyeballs in things you can’t seem to keep a handle on, and he will only drag you farther down that you’ve already fallen.”

Okay come on that was a little harsh. Nick stared at Finch. “I’ve helped her. I’ve helped you.”

Finch scoffed. “Beating a suspect isn’t exactly ‘helping’, Wilde. Get out of my office before I have someone remove you by force.”

Nick, now no longer an official Ministry worker, stuck his middle finger up at Finch before turning on his heel and walking out of his office.

Before Harris could follow the criminal, however, Finch blocked her path. “I don’t know what you’ve got in your head about him, but he is still a criminal. Don’t let that cloud your judgment.” For once, Finch sounded sincere. Judith Harris, although small, had the passion for the job that many other aurors lacked. She would be difficult to replace if anything were to happen to her.

--- judith harris

PM
^
judith harris
 Posted: May 8 2017, 10:05 PM

Judy's eyes narrowed, just barely able to keep her foot from tapping at a rapid pace. How far she'd already fallen? She hadn't an exactly stellar record before Nick but the idea he was tarnishing that was insulting. He'd helped her in more ways than one. Finch didn't see it that way and apparently that was the last straw for Nick. A part of Judy was impressed by his blatant disregard but supposed it was warrented.

"I'm not letting him cloud anything." Judy snapped, not missing the sincerity. She'd become a better auror because of Nick and Finch just couldn't or wouldn't see that. She moved past him and out the office, slamming the door shut. Judy had to jog to reach Nick, then reached up and tugged at his jacket sleeve to get him to stop. "I'm sorry, Nick. I didn't know Finch was going to pull that." Thinking about it restarted her anger and she took a moment to calm down before continuing.

"And the whole criminal informant bit was only to appease him before you got into even more trouble. I'm going to try and get your job back, no matter what it takes." Judy's determination faded into a lighter tone. "Meanwhile, you'll be staying with me. I can get a two bedroom flat. I've saved up enough money as working almost 24/7 has it's perks."

PM
^
Nicholas Wilde
 Posted: May 10 2017, 01:49 AM

The moment Harris tugged at his jacket, he jerked away violently. Her apology fell on deaf ears – or at least ears that were too angry to hear what she had to say. “Ain’t nobody know what’s going on in this damn department,” he spat, pulling his arm away from Harris and earning himself the stares of anyone in nearby proximity. “Not even the fuckers who work here!” That was targeted to those looking on, several of which gave him a disapproving look. Like he cared.

Harris tried again, explaining why she’d called him a criminal informant and Nick’s chin rose a bit, eyes growing cold, hands slipping into his pockets so he didn’t hit anything. Or anyone. His jaw clenched once, twice, three times before the woman mentioned trying to get Nick’s job back. “Job?” he scoffed. “What job? I was here against my will and now I finally get to leave. What makes you think I want any of that.”

This wasn’t him… was it? He’d made so much progress in the eight months that he’d been working with Harris, how could he so easily devolve back into whatever the hell this was? He didn’t mean what he was saying, but he was hurt, and he was feeling so very vulnerable, and when he felt these things, he tossed up the walls and didn’t let anyone – anyone – in.

But knowing this didn’t stop the venom from coming.

“I don’t need your charity, woman!” he hissed at her. “Don’t think I can’t make money on my own.” Turning on his heel, Nick stormed out of the Ministry and into the spring showers that had been plaguing London for the past week or so.

--- judith harris

PM
^
judith harris
 Posted: May 10 2017, 02:35 AM

When Nick pulled away so fast he almost tore a hole in his jacket, she knew the day was going even more downhill. She only listened to his outburst, not trusting herself to speak. Yet. For a moment Judy could only stand there, staring after him. Memories of the park rose up and she squeezed her eyes shut to stop the stinging, then opened them. Was it pride Nick needed to swallow or something else? Judy rushed out after him, headless of the downpour that instantly soaked her small frame.

"I thought we were partners, Nick!" Her voice held a ragged edge, raised usually loud and it got Judy some looks from those passing by. "I care about you! I said I wasn't going to let anything bad happen to you! And you g-going back to a life of crime and living under a bridge is the worst thing possible! I won't let that happen." She paused to catch her breath, glad it was raining.

"But...I know I can't stop you. So if you want go back to New York and leave me and everything you've so hard to achieve, there's a bus." Judy didn't mean the last part. She wanted him to stay with every fiber of her being, a deep ache that she'd never felt before. Though Judy knew she honestly couldn't stop Nick if that's what he was determined to do. Her next sentence was quiet. "I thought you'd changed."

Nicholas Wilde
PM
^
Nicholas Wilde
 Posted: May 10 2017, 03:03 AM

"Partners?!" Nick scoffed, rounding on the small woman. She was truly looking her size, drenched from the rain and a full foot shorter than Nick. "Or are you my handler." It wasn't a question. She claimed to care about him but was only met with his shaking head. "Nah, the only person that cares about me is me." That was a lie. He didn't even really care at this point.

Her words... He didn't know what she was trying to accomplish by saying all that shit. It hurt. "You really think that's all I'm capable of doing? Being some con and living in a box?" The rain had his hair plastered to his head and when she basically told him to leave, Nick took a step back, staring at the woman.

Was she...was she being serious?

Setting his jaw, Nick stood a little straighter. It hadn't taken her long to change her tune, that was for sure. He longed to return to New York, even if it did mean going back to crime and squatting in abandoned buildings. He was used to it, right?

Turning to walk away, he barely heard the last words that Harris said softly, and they made him bristle. He stopped in his tracks, clenching his jaw. Had he really changed or had it all been for show? His shoulders tensed. Some of it...yeah. Some of it had been for show - like not beating the shit out of Finch and Jack. But hadn't some of it been genuine?

"Wishful thinking."

--- judith harris

PM
^
judith harris
 Posted: May 10 2017, 03:43 AM

After all they'd been through, the handler label felt like a slap but Judy didn't let it show. She could sense Nick turning back on himself, clinging to his independence and old ways. Safe ways. "It might have been that way once for you but it's not now. You have me. Always."

Then her temper had to get the best of her. "I know that's your default!" Judy snapped,  despising herself for the glimmer of hurt that appeared on Nick's face. "But you can be more! So much more. I've seen it over these past months. That you're better than what people think. What they assume you are." Judy got to see the man under the mask but somehow he was slipping away.

Judy shook her head, sending droplets flying. "That's not entirely true and you know it." She took a step closer. "Believe me, I was terrified about being vulnerable once too. Still am. Change is scary. But once you accept it and open up, it's better. You have to trust someone Nick. Otherwise you'll go through life alone and miserable." She took a step closer. "Trust me." Judy wasn't about to stand back and let him throw his potential away. Not after this.

Nicholas Wilde
PM
^
Nicholas Wilde
 Posted: May 10 2017, 06:20 PM

He had her? All five foot nothing of her. She wasn't useful in a hand-to-hand combat, they both knew that. She was an ankle-biter at best, and Nick didn't need her.

What the hell was wrong with him?

Even as he moved to walk away, he couldn't. He couldn't just leave her. She snapped at him, completely warranted, that crime and squalor were just his default. His default? Nick's hands curled into fists. At least he was finally learning what she really thought of him. Just as that thought passed through his mind, Harris said that he was capable of being so much more.

His head bowed a bit. She said that she'd gotten to see so much more than everyone else around him ever got to see. They'd been through so much. "They're right, though." he said, taking a step back and kinda turning towards her. "Everyone else thinks I'm some fuck up, except you," he said. He was pretty sure the warden didn't even think super highly of him. Sure, he'd been able to get the man information, but he was just an informant. And Nick knew from experience than informants were disposable.

He stood stock still as Harris crept closer towards him. He wanted to move away, but it really wasn't worth it. She was about an arm's length away from him now - his arm's length, not her's. He listened, this time really listening, as she explained once again about her own past. He had to trust someone? ...anytime he'd done that, it just ended badly for him.

Going through life alone and miserable though... isn't that what he'd been doing before being tossed around between the MACUSA and the Ministry like he was cargo? Hadn't it worked out decently well for him then? Sure, he hadn't been living a fantastic life or anything, but he'd at least had a free life, up until Ryker's.

Harris took another step towards him, closing the distance between them rather quickly, practically begging him to trust her. He couldn't. Could he? Months ago, they'd trusted each other with their lives during the chase that had left the both of them with long-term injuries. What was any different now? A tantrum? Finch finally getting his way and being able to bust Nick's ass?

Well fuck them.

Trust her. Trust her? They had similar backgrounds, her's just had a happy ending while his had ended in incarceration. Trust her. Part of him was telling him to go for it, because why the hell not. The other part of him was telling him to back up and protect himself. It...it honestly was a bit much.

And so instead, he stood there silently, like a tall bump on a log.

--- judith harris

PM
^
judith harris
 Posted: May 12 2017, 08:41 PM

"They're wrong." Judy wrapped her arms around her middle, blinking water out of her eyes. "That's because they haven't met the real you. The one that I know. I'm sure they did, they'd think differently." Somehow she remained an endless well of optimism. Nick's silence was understandable. He was on the verge of shutting down and she had to reach him before that happened.

"Nick...do you remember when I found that photo on my fridge and I went to you for a place for help? Let me return the favor. And you said you knew that I'd do the same for you. So here are." She paused, arms dropping to her side. "Stay. Please." How many times had she asked this? And how many times would he listen? Judy waited, shivering, head tipped back to look him in the eye.
PM
^
Nicholas Wilde
 Posted: May 13 2017, 01:23 AM

She insisted that they were wrong; everyone else didn’t know him – the ‘him’ that Harris had grown to know over the past several months. She was convinced that if only they knew him the way she knew him, that their opinions wouldn’t stay the same as they currently were. Nick wasn’t so sure. He knew there were people out there that couldn’t see past the end of their nose let alone a criminal record.

Droplets of rainwater dripped into his eyes and he pulled a hand from his pocket to wipe the rain off his face. It was a cold, spring drizzle that soaked through clothing and chilled him straight to the bone. It was the refreshing promise of summer but the lingering bite of winter all wrapped up into small water droplets.

Harris asked if he remembered the time she’d shown up at his doorstep, and he nodded. How could he forget? She’d been so distraught, so exhausted, that she hadn’t been in her right mind at all. It had been unnerving seeing the typically so put-together Judith Harris so frazzled and at her wit’s end.

Nick nodded. “Of course,” he said, voice thick. She wanted to return the favor. His shoulders dropped. Back when she’d crashed on his couch, and he’d broken into the Ministry’s archives for her, she’d said she owed him. He’d brushed it off back then, thinking nothing of it. And now she wanted to redeem her token of friendship, in a sense.

‘Stay. Please.’

Nick’s eyes rose from the ground between them to meet Harris’ eyes. How many times had he actually heard that in his life, in this kind of tone? Sure, he’d heard the ‘goddammit kid, stay put’ one from the cops and foster parents. But he’d never heard these words in this kind of tone. She was begging him, pleading with him to not leave – the exact opposite of what he was used to.

How many times had he dreamed of hearing something like that?

The silence was interrupted by the pitter-patter of the rain, but after several heavy and chilled moments, Nick slowly nodded his head, his movements very slight. “Okay,” he said. “Okay.”

--- judith harris

PM
^
judith harris
 Posted: May 13 2017, 01:47 AM

Judy waited, ignoring the cold and everything else around her except for Nick. His silence streached long until finally he nodded and Judy couldn't resist lighting up like the brightest Christmas tree. "Thank you." She wanted to hug him but stopped herself, considering that Nick was the one who had initiated that contact.

Judy settled for a beaming smile instead, sticking her frozen fingers into her jacket pockets. "I can help you move what stuff you have into my flat temporarily, then we can look for a new one together." Like a real couple. She nudged that voice in her head away. First thing in the morning she'd see about getting him unexiled but for today she'd take this silver lining.
PM
^
Nicholas Wilde
 Posted: May 13 2017, 02:55 AM

The amount of relief on Harris’ face was… it was more than he’d seen in a while. This wasn’t something like ‘oh good, you’re not dead’, or ‘oh hey, you brought coffee’. This look that she gave him was something completely different. She thanked him, and he shoved his hands back in his pockets, his shoulders rising and falling in a shrug. She’d asked him to stay. She was the only one to have done so and truly meant it.

And just like that, they were fine. It was always intriguing how quickly things went with them…

She was even offering to help him move his shit. “It’ll all fit in a bag. It’s the joy of magic, right?” He attempted a grin, but he was still feeling pretty low, even if he did have a place to at least get out of this goddamn rain.

Was this really what was happening? Sure, people had opened up their homes to him before, only to retract the offer once he got settled. It wouldn’t… would it surprise him if it happened with Harris? …maybe. Why, though?

Shaking his head, he sent little droplets everywhere and turned to walk towards one of the nearby alleyways. “Wanna just meet me there?” he asked, not giving the woman enough time to answer before he apparated away.

--- judith harris

PM
^
judith harris
 Posted: May 13 2017, 10:18 AM

They settled easily back to normality and Judy was always both surprised and relieved every time. The ups and downs of Nick Wilde were something she was still learning to navigate. "Yeah, that's right." Her smile was small, watching his own attempt at happiness for Judy's sake admirable. But she was determined to cheer him up.

She opened her mouth to reply, taking an unconscious step after him before Nick vanished. Of course. Judy sighed and turned around to head back inside the Ministry. She preferred to use the Floo network more than apparating as the nausea the spell left effected her more severely than most. It was also her reason for avoiding roller coasters. Not seeing Nick in the lobby, she continued up to his flat and came in without knocking.
PM
^
Nicholas Wilde
 Posted: May 13 2017, 08:26 PM

Nick’s preferred method of magical travel was actually ranked third on his overall preferences when it came to how he got around. Walking was always his top preference, with catching a ride being the second. Apparating was just easier, and most of the time, so much quicker. The only stipulation was that he had to make sure No-Majs didn’t see him. He just really didn’t like the Floo Network.

By the time Harris walked through the front door, Nick had most things stuffed into an old duffle bag that looked to be about as old as he was based on the wear and tear of the thing alone. Expansion spells were no big deal, and Nick had started using one on the poor bag ages ago simply because hoodies took up a shit ton of space.

“Not much left…” he said, looking around. The furniture had been in the apartment when it had been given to him. Nick rubbed the side of his neck with his wand before slipping it back up his right sleeve again, attention on Harris. “I travel pretty light,” he said, as if what was in the apartment was just the essentials he’d brought along for holiday, not everything he claimed as his own.

--- judith harris

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

PORTKEYS

Shadowplay RPG-D Candyland Couture

Avalon
Rise of the Believers X-Generation: X-Men Roleplay
Wizarding Warfare

YOUR BUTTON HERE!<------- OHaV HOS The Beginning INCREDIBLE TO INFINITY AND BEYOND UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED ------->YOUR BUTTON HERE!

skin created by Jenna of shine, caution, atf, candyland, and wecode.