you are logged in as
admin cp mod cp
Alerts ()
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better, Tag: Takumi Sumeragi
Takumi Sumeragi
 Posted: 14 Apr 2018, 05:23 AM

Takumi wanted to feel sympathy when he saw Ed's reaction, he really did, and deep down inside he definitely did feel it. But at this point, the stew of emotions inside him was doing the talking, not his brain. " I don't get it. You overly correct every little detail I get wrong when speaking English, and then call attention to me not being totally confident in it, but you act like a wounded puppy when you get corrected. You're the one who always says being corrected is helpful. "

Takumi sighed as he came across a stray mirror in his drawers and looked inside it embarrassed by how red and splotchy his face, and especially his eyes were. "I don't hate you, Ed, I really don't. I'm just... you just told me what I've always wondered if you even cared about me at all. You obviously don't' And Ed...I can't be your friend unless you give me something back. Friendship shouldn't just be about you. You should also be happy for me, even if you don't like my accomplishments. You came in here mad about me leaving because of you being deprived of something, and not because you'd miss being in the dorm with me.... So yeah maybe I am like all the others...I tried not to be but..." he looked away from his own reflection and back at Ed, his face rather contrite.

----

edward nygma
PM
^
edward nygma
 Posted: 14 Apr 2018, 09:25 AM

"You didn't correct me," he interrupted when Takumi made that claim. "You just said you were better at it. I still don't know what that phrase means. You still haven't told me. You haven't corrected a thing you've just criticised me for not knowing. That's entirely different." He genuinely did think correcting people was helpful, and actually would have really appreciated it if people did correct him back - but this was far more common, teasing or mockery or just an observation that he was bad at something, followed by no further explanation to help him. Correcting someone meant they knew better next time and would be able to not repeat their mistakes. Takumi's 'haha I'm better at English than you' did nothing to ensure Ed wouldn't be tripped up by that choice of words again.

The way Takumi then went on about friendships did finally have him pausing. though his attention didn't lift from the now still toy in his hand. "I don't have any money though," he replied a moment later with a frown, a hint of confusion clear in his voice. "I could make you something but I wouldn't know what. And everything I have here is important to me so I can't just give you that. I didn't know you were supposed to give things to people to make them your friends but I suppose that makes sense, its like paying for a service." His attention had turned to the drawers next to his bed, opening them one by one and looking for anything he could give away to Takumi. But their content really all did matter to him - he threw away anything that didn't after all.

The other boy's words trailed off and Ed looked up expectantly when the end of the sentence didn't come. "But what?" he prompted, biting back the desire to tell Takumi that you couldn't end a sentence with a conjunction. "Why am I supposed to be happy that everything is better for you than for me? I don't understand why that should make me feel good."

Takumi Sumeragi

PMEmail
^
Takumi Sumeragi
 Posted: 15 Apr 2018, 08:30 PM

Okay Ed did have a point there...but still... "You don't even realize how mean you sound when you overly correct people do you? But fine if you want actual criticism? You take language way too literally. If you do that, people will just laugh at you, you know." As if they didn't already.

And yet again he was taking Takumi's words too literally and proving his point, with his interpretation of what Takumi was calling friendship, "No no no not physical things Edward. I mean like... I have to get some emotional fulfillment from spending time with you. You have to make me feel good sometimes, and then I make you feel good and happy. Even just stuff like asking about my life or whatever goes a long way." Takumi paused for a second to fish out some stray trash, and then threw it in the trashcan across the room with no effort at all. "I guess its kind of like paying for a service, but its just about emotional involvement. My father used to tell me that any friend that drags you down instead of lifts you up isn't your friend at all. " he shrugged.

It finally occured to Takumi though exactly how to go about explaining this, "Okay remember when Sakura got into the Elites? Shouldn't by your logic I should have been mad and angry she got in before me despite being younger? But I wasn't, and any sort of anger I felt I knew was dumb and I never let her see. Thats what people do when they care about each other. It means little things like this don't matter...and in the end it is a little thing. There's plenty of people in this world who did just fine without being an Elite. " ----

edward nygma
PM
^
edward nygma
 Posted: 15 Apr 2018, 08:46 PM

He frowned at the suggestion that he could sound 'mean' when he corrected others. "If they're offended by my help then that's their problem," he mumbled. It wasn't really worth arguing when Takumi was clearly right - it wasn't the first time he'd been told his corrections were not appreciated and came off as either condescending or cruel. "Language is literal. It's other people who twist it into not being." And it's not like the other boys' words could exactly be considered 'advice' when Ed's struggle with interpretation was not a voluntary thing. But he couldn't explain that to this kid, couldn't admit to not understanding something that came so naturally to everyone else without giving up his title of genius in the process.

Anyway, Takumi still hadn't told him what he'd actually meant.

He did turn back to listen to the explanation about friendships, a frown firmly fixed in place as he chewed over the words to try and make his own sense of them. The concept sounded familiar but why should he ask about Takumi's life if he didn't care about it? Surely pretending to care was lying and that was far worse? The example didn't make things much clearer, though it did make Ed wince at the suggestion that his own anger was 'dumb' here too. "I don't know what you want me to do with that information," he replied a moment later. "I'm not happy for you and I am angry so what, does that just mean I'm broken then? If that's not how I should feel? If that's not how you felt?" He turned his attention back to the cube in his hands with a pout, taking his building frustration out on it by messing up the colours again and muttering to himself, "Just stupid 'special Ed' again, can't even get friendship right, makes everyone hate him by being too clever and takes words to mean what they actually mean because that's obviously a dumb thing to do..."

Takumi Sumeragi

PMEmail
^
Takumi Sumeragi
 Posted: 22 Apr 2018, 09:11 PM

Takumi shrugged, "Oh come on, someone as smart as you knows that metaphors and idioms and what not have always been a part of every language. I mean I know you probably didn't have to study literature the way I did but... its just a human thing that humans do. It doesn't have to make sense." He felt like he was speaking to a space alien trying to figure out how humans work. "Putting words in your mouth means....someone is telling you you said something you didn't. Not that it matters anymore, because I don't even remember WHY I said that now." Edward had that strange ability to drag something out until it snapped.

But when Ed had his outburst, Takumi froze and could feel the urge to cry again, nip at his eyes, "I....I don't know what it means Ed...maybe it means you're not actually my friend." he blinked back a tear as he looked back at Ed, "Look Ed its not a big deal! With that new Ministry integration, Elite status won't mean as much as it did before, and you'll have no trouble getting a job. You'll probably have an easier time then I will, they need smart people like you. You're going to be okay Ed! We just have to get through school, and then literally none of this shit will matter, okay?" At least thats what his mother always told him, in letters when he'd vent to her upset over being teased and what not... that in the end none of this actually mattered, as long as he did well and got good grades.

----

edward nygma -whistles as she shoe horns a Bingo spot in-
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
Fast Reply
New Poll

PORTKEYS

Shadowplay Candyland Couture

HOS Rise of the Believers X-Generation: X-Men Roleplay

YOUR BUTTON HERE!<------- HG OHaV The Beginning Taking It Back INCREDIBLE TO INFINITY AND BEYOND UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED ------->YOUR BUTTON HERE!

skin created by Jenna of shine, caution, atf, candyland, and wecode.