admin cp mod cp
Alerts ()

Add Reply
New Poll

Broke the Camel's Back, Edward/Sig
Burke Riegel
 Posted: 29 May 2018, 07:51 PM

"Herr Riegel PLEASE can you talk to him?"

Burke felt very thankful that his counterpart from the Ministry of Europe was from Switzerland. Even with different dialects, German felt much easier right now, when he'd barely slept for what felt so long, and on top of all that, the Ministry decided to go to hell the same month his son was born.

Of course it had all begun with that...horrifying day, when he came back, when he'd had a front row view to his superior's private life for....WHATEVER reason. And shortly after that the Minister's mother died.

Burke had no problems with him leaving. He couldn't imagine the grief he must have felt. It wasn't like with Burke's father dying, which had felt more like a stranger dying, this woman had been Oswald Cobblepot's entire foundation. It was better to have him rebuild himself as opposed to not be the best Minsiter he could be.

The issue came from putting EDWARD in charge.

"Herr Riegel?"

Burke blinked. God he must have spaced out again, "Herr Mueller I'm sorry, I know you need those statements from all of the Ministers but... I can't MAKE Herr Nygma cooperate, you know?

Mueller sighed in frustration. "You poor thing. Is this your whole life now?"

"Unfortunately... we're off the record correct?"

"Of course"

"I can't stand him. I want him gone, he won't do ANYTHING and then is so smug about it." Burke sat back in his chair. "I literally don't know how much of this I can take. Its like being on a sinking ship. I need the Minister to come back soon."

"I do not envy you."

"I'll do what I can Herr Mueller. Thank you for stopping by "

With that, the other press secretary was gone, and Burke leaned further back in his chair, cherishing the quiet.

Justus had not been sleeping well at all. Lydia had been taking care of the majority of it, but Burke was lucky to have three hours of uninterrupted sleep. The doctors called it colic, but Burke preferred the term "hell". Either way, with magic or Muggle medicine, there was nothing to do except wait it out.

He felt himself dozing off, when suddenly he heard movement, "Bitte tre-" Wait... "I mean come in please."

tag: edward nygma

PM
^
edward nygma
 Posted: 30 May 2018, 07:18 PM

To be quite honest, as acting minister, Edward shouldn’t have had to leave his office for any instance at all. People should come to him, not the other way around, even if the reason Ed was seeking the local press secretary out at the moment was to reprimand him for not showing up when he was supposed to…

In Burke’s defence, it had basically been a trap. The man had been getting far too big for his boots, and Ed had heard more than a few whispers about his insubordination. He was making demands he had no right to make, and talking to Ed in a way he never would have to Oswald, and was almost certainly planning to have him ousted from the Ministry entirely while Ed’s one and only benefactor was out of the office.

… Some of that might have been paranoia. It was hard to tell anymore. Nothing in this building seemed to sit right anymore, like he was walking through a mock-up of the usual corridors designed to look almost identical but feeling just a little bit off nonetheless. Perhaps it was simply being here without Oswald that made it feel so strange and unfriendly. Or perhaps he’d finally come to terms with just how unwelcome he actually was here. Either way, with his home life spiralling out of control in too many ways to count, his grip on his work life was slipping too. There were too many problems to handle, too many things demanding his focus, and the second he turned just slightly away from one to focus on another it would grow exponentially bigger. So his actions were getting more drastic by the day, as he tried something desperate and quick as a solution to patch up even just one small part of the collapse going on around him.

That was where the trap came in. He needed a way to reassert his authority over Burke, and so had set up a ‘very important meeting’ in the man’s calendar. And then not notified him about it. Ed knew the press secretary’s habits well enough by now to know exactly when and how often the man checked his calendar, and had slipped it in in between those times. So of course it had been no surprise to him when Burke hadn’t showed up to his office at the required time. But defying a direct request from the acting minister like that? That was worthy of a disciplinary, no?

Honestly, he might have just been looking for an excuse to blow off steam, to get some of his frustration out on literally anyone else before it built too high and exploded at a time outside of his control. Regardless, he was ready for an easily winnable fight before he’d even turned the corridor to Burke’s office. Which was when he overheard the conversation that would only provide more fuel for his reprimand.

He wouldn’t admit to hearing it just yet though – Burke likely didn’t think he would have understood it even if Ed had been standing beside him at the time, so it was worth keeping that as a secret weapon for now. He hadn’t knocked of course, though Burke had heard him entering and granted him access nonetheless. He was half tempted to point out that he didn’t even need the man to allow him to come in because he could go anywhere he wanted in this damn building… but that definitely would be picking a fight for no other reason than to let out aggression. And in which case, he may as well wait and do that properly. Straight to business then: “Mr Riegel. Where were you at 11 am today then? And I warn you before you answer, your excuse had better be impeccable.”

Burke Riegel / 633
welp
PMEmail
^
Burke Riegel
 Posted: 30 May 2018, 09:07 PM

Of course it was Edward.

Burke immediately sat up, before Edward would have any opportunity for scolding him for being relaxed alone in his own office.

Edward was quick to get to business, and Burke was baffled, "Mr. Nygma I... I've never missed a meeting in my life, you must be mistaken."

If he wasn't mistaken then he just wasted his chance to explain himself, but his schedule was so carefully managed, even now, he had last checked it while cradling his screaming child late last night there was no way anything could have been missed.

And yet when Burke pulled his calendar out....there it was.

Burke looked back at Edward, "When...when did you add this? This wasn't there last night...oh dear." There went his thirty-four year long perfect attendance record.

He found himself biting his lip as he tried to parse the man's face, and see if any signs of potential consequences were on them, "I....don't have an impeccable excuse, unfortunately."

PM
^
edward nygma
 Posted: 24 Jun 2018, 08:11 PM

He would have laughed in the man’s face at his bold and now very untrue statement if Burke had not wrapped it up by shifting the blame onto Edward instead. That was quite clearly an accusation, implying that Edward, the superior officer in this scenario, was wrong. “Are you calling me a liar Burke?” He hissed out the word that always carried so much extra weight when it came from Ed’s mouth, and took a step closer to the other man’s desk in an intentionally intimidating manner. Let’s see how he answers that one – because quite frankly if Burke wasn’t grovelling at his feet in the next few moments, begging him for forgiveness for his slip of the tongue, he would have failed the second test of the day.

“The ‘when’ doesn’t matter Mr Riegel, there is a meeting in your calendar with the acting Minister of Magic, your direct boss, that you did not attend. You should be on top of such things, this is very disappointing to see.” That felt good. But not good enough yet. Chastising Burke was what he did anyway, whether he had the authority to do so or not. This was no different to any of their other altercations so far. But he had power now, he had to step up his game, especially when the other man admitted to not even having an excuse. How to do it though…?

He could just fire him immediately, and hope Burke’s reaction was worth jumping to the end for. But surely it was better to drag this out and get the maximum possible response from the other man? Surely he shouldn’t waste this opportunity? … Actually, he could practically feel the volatility of his temper bubbling just below the surface of his skin without anything having happened yet, so it seemed unlikely that he’d be able to plan anything out here at all without some sort of emotional impulse overriding it all anyway… Perhaps just play it by ear then.

He strode over to the other man’s desk, leaning forward to rest his hands on the surface so he could hover over Burke as he spoke. “You mean to say you have no reason for missing this? You were not preoccupied elsewhere with some emergency situation then? Or perhaps you just do not wish to tell me where you were at that time? Plotting behind my back perhaps?” Right okay, that was jumping very far ahead very quickly, and even Ed could hear how painfully paranoid those words sounded. Quick, he needed to find a way to salvage this… “I would have no reason to think that of course, if it weren’t for what I overheard upon reaching your office today… You want me gone, hmmm?” Would that do? It was enough of a distraction at least, though it was using his ‘secret weapon’ rather quickly in this battle… Oh well, desperate times called for desperate measures, and Ed was at least managing to maintain somewhat of an air of cool for now, as flimsy as it was, so perhaps it was better not to question his methods too much for fearing of losing that entirely.

Burke Riegel / 530
welp
PMEmail
^
Burke Riegel
 Posted: 25 Jun 2018, 02:15 AM

Burke would never admit it, but he was intimidated.

And the embarrassing type of intimidated too. The kind he had felt as a child, whenever he broke anything in his home and his uncle heard about it, and he would lord over him just like this as he tried to decide his punishment.

The height difference was unbearable, and Burke shot up, and stood as tall as he could, though he was still a few inches under Edward. "My apologies, sir." God calling him sir, felt like poison in his mouth, but he had to survive this encounter, and sweetening his words wouldn't do any harm.

"It will not happen again, Mr. Nygma. I'm sorry to have inconvenienced you...what was this meeting about?" Burke cringed visibly as he said that, god that would make things worse. It was probably something Edward assumed he'd know, but Burke honestly didn't. He hoped his curiosity wouldn't bite him in the ass.

But that hope didn't last long, as he took a step back and his eyes widened, over apparently having been overheard. Burke sat himself down again, silent as he looked at his hands on the desk, before he looked back up at Edward, " You've been able to speak German this whole time?" His face flushed slightly, remembering all the times him and Lydia had been snide during events, " I...I am not plotting against you. Mr. Mueller came to see me, because he was concerned about getting those statements from you, and I was under the impression I had some free time in my schedule." He winced yet again at how that sounded. Burke was lost he had no idea how to justify any of this. He didn't even know what to say about how Edward had overheard him. His instinct was to just ignore the problem and hope Edward got bored, but he knew from his profession things tended to fester if you didn't address them.

PM
^
edward nygma
 Posted: 7 Jul 2018, 08:04 PM

The sir was a good start but they had a long way to go yet. And the fact Burke was not even aware of what the meeting was about (which of course Ed had not expected him to be considering he had not known it was even on) did not sound very good for him Ed audibly tutted before responding to the question. “Dear, dear, Mr Riegel, that does not look good for you at all, does it? I had hoped to pass on vital details to you from the Minister himself, but there was a time crunch in place and as you did not have the decency to show up to the meeting, I was forced to complete your menial work by myself.” There may have been some truth in that. Oswald did give Ed the odd request for him to complete at work (it was one of the few times the other man actually spoke to him these days), and had Burke actually somehow turned up to the impossible meeting, Ed would have manufacturesdsomething out of that for him to have done. But it didn’t matter now, since Burke didn’t have the authority to question Ed any further on the matter anyway.

The way the other man retreated away from him at the unveiling of his secret weapon was enough to curve a smirk onto Ed’s lips. “Yes Mr Riegel. You will recall that when we first met, I explained to you that I have an eidetic memory. It makes language acquisition a very easy task, and once I realised that you were using your German to talk in secret during work time, I took it upon myself to learn the language to find out what it was that you were hiding from us. It took me a month at longest I believe.” His smirk had become prouder by the second, looking almost smug by the time he had finished since he was not capable of looking pleased with himself without simultaneously looking down on others in the process. It was impossible to fact check what he had said too of course, and what exactly his level of German had been after the month in question, but it was unwise to question Ed about such things anyway.

His head cocked slightly at Burke’s excuse, clearly not buying it for a second. “Funny, that doesn’t seem to match up with what you said Mr Riegel. I do believe you specifically said that you cannot stand me, that I won’t do anything and that I am smug about my lack of action. Maybe you were also offering to help your colleague but let’s focus on the defamatory insults, shall we? Do you have anything to say for yourself, or should I begin the misconduct investigation immediately?” He offered a wide and very false smile at the other man, as though his offer to begin a disciplinary against him was a kind one, which perhaps it was when Ed had considered firing him outright.

He leaned away from the desk, standing tall again and tapping his foot impatiently against the floor as he waited for Burke to dig himself further into the hole he’d already created.

Burke Riegel / 536
welp
PMEmail
^
Burke Riegel
 Posted: 10 Jul 2018, 11:28 PM

Oh so it was something important...supposedly. Burke knew that Edward claimed to never lie, but he sometimes had strange definitions of what lying was....however Burke didn't want to risk anything more. "I apologize sir, it won't happen again." is all he said.

But any control over the situation that Burke was feigning was lost the moment the other man began explaining himself. Burke felt the color drain from his face, and knew he looked like a frightened idiot as he tried to process that Edward had understood everything the entire time. "You learned a whole language in a month..." he repeated. He felt like he was going to throw up...maybe that could be used as an excuse to get out of this cage.

And as Edward repeated everything Burke had said with perfect accuracy. Burke tried to figure out how to respond. But really what could he say? He knew Edward wouldn't believe him if he claimed he'd heard wrong, and he HADN'T. Getting caught in a web of lies was the last thing he should be doing.

Burke simply let out a sigh. "I have no defense. You've caught me red handed, do what you must." Maybe honesty and not fighting back would make this easier. There was a part of him, that burning part of him that had been that fiesty teenager trying to shake this child off him, that wanted him to fight back. But he was so tired, he couldn't summon that part of him beyond a small subconcious thought.

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
Fast Reply
New Poll

PORTKEYS

Shadowplay Candyland Couture RPG-D

HOS

Rise of the Believers X-Generation: X-Men Roleplay

YOUR BUTTON HERE!<------- HG OHaV INCREDIBLE TO INFINITY AND BEYOND UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED Break the Wheel: a Season 8 GOT AU PJRPG -------> YOUR BUTTON HERE

skin created by Jenna of shine, caution, atf, candyland, and wecode.