Alerts ()

Add Reply
New Poll

Something Bad, Tag: Edward Nygma
talia al ghul
 Posted: 25 Mar 2018, 10:28 PM

I can feel the flames
on my skin
Talia glanced over her shoulder every few seconds as she made her way through the Ministry’s library. A voice at the back of her mind whispered that she was likely to draw more attention to herself this way, and she pulled in a long breath and tried to calm down. No one had to know why she was here, after all. She was a Ministry employee, and one from the Department of Mysteries, for God’s sake. If anyone was expected to be looking up obscure and unsettling things, an Unspeakable certainly fit the criteria. It wasn’t that she feared the judgment of any of these people. She simply couldn’t afford word getting out about what she was using the Ministry’s resources to research down on Level Nine.

Her eyes swept over the tables and the people clustered around them, bent over old books. She didn’t let herself stare for too long, because she didn’t want to chance drawing anyone’s attention. She couldn’t see anyone she imagined herself having a moderately interesting conversation with, and she didn’t have time to waste being bored.

By the time she reached the rear of the library, the crowds had thinned. She was surrounded by shelves and books that smelled like they hadn’t been opened in at least half a century. She’d visited the corner she sought on a few occasions, but it was typically closer to the end of the day, when she had a smaller chance of running into anyone who might have more power than she. The Lazarus Potion was still missing a few key ingredients, however, and this gnawed at her from the moment she woke to the moment she slept, as she knew it would until the potion was complete.

Talia turned right and made her way to the corner she knew housed the books she needed to search for answers. Her heart leapt into her throat when she realized that someone else had beaten her to the corner. Someone in green.

She swallowed and took a step toward the shelf, running her index finger over the spine of a book at random and not bothering to read its title as her mind scrambled for an explanation for her presence.

Tag: edward nygma
Words: 370
Notes: Sorry it's shortish! They will get longer
PM
^
edward nygma
 Posted: 1 Apr 2018, 03:12 PM

It had been hours since he’d last done anything close to work here, as the pages of doodled question marks attested too, Ed’s quill continuing to scratch yet another in a slightly different font to the hundreds of other variants surrounding it. Flipping back to the beginning of the notebook would at least show a few lines of Ministry relevant musings: the beginning of a schedule jotted out on an otherwise empty page, a few notes to chase up agenda to meetings, etc. But that effort hadn’t lasted long, and Ed had been all but useless for the majority of the work day – something very unusual for the usually work-obsessed Chief of Staff.

He’d left his office early that morning, when after a few minutes pacing the room he had realised he wasn’t going to get anything productive done at all. It wasn’t even like the room contained any distracting memories (those were contained in his old office after all), but nevertheless, he’d cancelled the meetings in his calendar with a flick of his wand, packed up what he’d needed for the day and rushed off into one of his Ministry boltholes. This wasn’t the first time he’d needed to disappear from sight to work in peace, and when the Minister of Magic was the one most likely to be bothering you, it paid to have lesser known locations to hide out in if Oswald decided to go looking.

This was one of his favourite locations though, tucked away right at the back of the Ministry library filled to the brim with old books on every subject any department could be interested in. It was a fairly well used area of the building of course, but the collection was so vast that a good number of shelves never even got glanced at. Ed simply set himself up at a desk beside those, safe in the knowledge that no-one would be reading anything down this end of the extensive room.

Which was lucky really, considering he looked like quite a mess right now. His tie had been bothering him, so it had been loosened and now hung lamely around his neck instead, and his hands had run back through his hair in frustration so many times that clumps of it were sticking up at odd angles already. The bags under his eyes clashed harshly with how pale and clammy the rest of his face looked. And that, matched with the fact that he had one hand pressed to his forehead as the other continued to scribble nothing but punctuation marks on the paper in front of them, did not give the overall impression of the usually straight-laced well presented Chief of Staff of the Ministry.

He hadn’t noticed anyone approach, too busy lost in thoughts that wouldn’t organise themselves into actual words to bother using any of his senses to detect an intruder. So when a flash of movement was caught by the corner of his eye, he jumped so dramatically the quill in his hand went clattering to the floor, fingers clasping at air as he tried and failed to catch it before it landed. Which put him in an even better mood for when he finally decided to respond to the interruption. “I can say with certainty that what you are looking for is not here,” he practically snarled at the woman who had dared to interfere with his isolation. “So get out.”

talia al ghul / 574
Bad mood Eddie already
PMEmail
^
talia al ghul
 Posted: 1 Apr 2018, 09:53 PM

I can feel the flames
on my skin
You see, I’m doing research on what not to do in the Department of Mysteries. I’m compiling a list of topics we shouldn’t pursue, because certain types of magic shouldn’t be messed with, of course, Mr. Nygma… Though she hadn’t yet met him, she certainly recognized this man, now that she really allowed herself to look at him. She’d heard enough about him through the grapevine of Ministry gossip to know that he wasn’t likely to buy any of the feeble excuses she could muster. It would be simpler to tell him she’d gotten lost. But wouldn’t using that excuse be admitting weakness, and fabricated weakness, at that? Talia rarely—if ever—admitted her actual weaknesses. Sure she was snide, condescending, petty, vindictive, and terrible at accepting losses. But would she ever tell someone she was aware of any of those things? Of course not. She hadn’t been raised to acknowledge faults, and she wasn’t about to make another one up for the sake of justifying her presence in a public space. No… she was much more likely to find another way to handle the situation.

She pulled her thoughts back to the present and studied the man before her. His tie was loose, his hair disheveled, and he looked like he hadn’t slept in weeks. This man was the Minister’s Chief of Staff? Talia felt her lips beginning to curl, and she stopped herself, determined not to make an enemy of him unless it was completely necessary. Still, she couldn’t reconcile his current appearance with someone in such a prestigious position. If she were in his place, she wouldn’t dare be seen at the Ministry looking anything less than her best.

When he jumped and his quill left his hand to clatter to the floor, she bit her inner cheek to keep herself quiet, as she felt a laugh forming that she was certain wouldn’t be received terribly well. Still, she wasn’t completely sure whether she had managed to keep him from seeing the trace of smile, though she’d tried. When Nygma spoke, however, Talia froze, her eyes widening but her body remaining perfectly still as her mind scrambled through her options. She really should be polite; it wasn’t a good idea to make an enemy of Edward Nygma, she knew. But she wasn’t one to be disrespected, and she certainly wouldn’t let it go without firing back at him. She wished for an instant that her nature would allow her to let this one instance pass without her needing to have the last word, but she knew herself better than that. She surrendered to the fire bubbling up within her.

“Oh, you can say that, can you? Tell me then, wise one, what it is that I’m looking for.” Talia arched a brow and folded her arms across her chest, her feet firmly planted on the floor beneath her, showing no sign of retreating. She wasn’t about to let herself be bullied out of the bloody public library, for Merlin’s sake. How dare he speak to her that way? Didn’t he know who she was?

Words: 517
Notes: I'm sorry she sucks lol
PM
^
edward nygma
 Posted: 3 Apr 2018, 07:36 PM

Why didn’t she just leave? Why didn’t she just turn around and walk out without a word like he’d requested she do? Was that just too easy? Too kind of a turn of events for the universe to offer him, considering how much it seemed to enjoy battering him recently? It was all he could do not to drop his head to the desk in defeat when she didn’t immediately turn tail and flee, wanting to give up any attempt at an actual conversation and just groan into the wood of the table for an hour instead. But that probably wouldn’t actually make him feel any better, and it would certainly have this intruder thinking he was crazy and running off to tell someone all about it. Oh well, better try and act human for a little while longer then.

Luckily he hadn’t noticed any sign of amusement in her expression, because that certainly wouldn’t have improved his mood at all. Instead, all he had to go off was the words she used, and the way she crossed her arms in front of her like a stroppy teenager being told ‘no’. And despite his decision to address her properly, he couldn’t help but rub a hand across his face to try and clear some of the fatigue from it before attempting to address her, leaving his glasses askew in the process. “I don’t need to know what you’re looking for, I know what’s here, and you’re not looking for it,” he clarified a moment later, finally catching sight of the arm of his glasses in the corner of his eye and realising they couldn’t be aligned properly, taking a moment to fix them without considering it a hint to the rest of his particularly scruffy appearance. “Since I am certain you are not looking for the case file of the crimes that Ekirdis performed on Azkaban’s island deemed so barbaric the investigators refused to speak them aloud, or the intricate details of the very ancient dark spells Herpo the Foul manufactured while figuring out how to hatch a basilisk, OR the exact manner in which Raczidian managed to get an army of dementors to obey his every command, you could not be looking for anything in this area.” With each new topic mentioned, his hand gestured lazily to a different book on a nearby shelf, their locations memorised long ago when his gaze had slid from his work to trail over titles elegantly scrawled on spines that had never been creased.

Leaning back in his chair and throwing the quill down atop the notebook of scribbles because he clearly wasn’t going to progress any further with work now, he let his gaze move from the books he had been pointing at to the woman herself. “Of course, if you were to be looking into any of those things, or into any of the subjects contained in their neighbouring books, you would obviously have needed the permission of the Minister of Magic to do so. As I organise the Minister’s paperwork, I know for a fact that no such permission has been obtained by any member of his staff. Therefore, you cannot possibly be looking for anything contained within these books and must surely have taken a wrong turn at some point on your way here, or else my next action would be to have you fired for poking your nose where it most certainly doesn’t belong.”

He sat forwards again, folding his arms on the desk before him and leaning over them as he flashed the woman the most patronising smile he could manage. “So shall we try that again then? What you are looking for is not here. So get out.” His eyes narrowed a little as he voiced his demand for a second time, daring her not to just do what she was told now because there was no way she would be asked a third time.

talia al ghul / 658
the research for this post was a lot of fun
PMEmail
^
talia al ghul
 Posted: 6 Apr 2018, 07:54 PM

I can feel the flames
on my skin
At the back of her mind, a little voice whispered to Talia that she probably should have left well enough alone. She should’ve turned around, said nothing, walked away, and come back on another day when, perhaps, he wouldn’t be here. She had no idea what had left him in this state; from everything she’d heard, he was fairly well-put-together at work, aside from when he got himself into trouble now and then, typically for his mouth. Something must’ve gone wrong to leave him huddled over a desk at the rear corner of the library looking like he’d just washed in off the street. Whatever had happened, she knew it must’ve been awful, and she couldn’t entirely decide whether she cared. Certainly it was within the realm of her best interest to remain on his good side, what with him being Minister Cobblepot’s chief of staff and all.

Still, her thoughts drifted to her tenth birthday, when she’d asked to go get ice cream and her father had insisted that they stay home and play chess instead. As he’d knocked over her king with his queen, he’d told her, “Take advantage of your enemy’s every weakness. Are they distracted? Broken? Upset, because they wish they were somewhere else?” He’d set the queen in the newly vacated white space on the board. “That’s the best time to strike. You owe no one mercy.” Her lip had quivered when she’d realized that, in that moment, her father had treated her like an enemy, capitalizing on her distress to win. But the lesson had been learned.

Aside from the rude address moments earlier, Nygma had never done anything to warrant Talia considering him her enemy. But she reminded herself that she was required to view the world as her enemy by default unless it proved otherwise. She couldn’t afford to relent and then have her own weakness capitalized on instead.

“You make a lot of good points, I’ll admit,” she began. “Certainly I would be asking for trouble if any of those things were what I’d come here to find, particularly because it’s within your power to ‘have me fired,’ as you put it, with however much unnecessary bravado. But you seem exceedingly familiar with the contents of those well-protected books you mentioned, and what does that say about you? Have you memorized them just to keep unwitting Ministry employees from stumbling into sections that would get them in trouble, or are those the type of books you enjoy perusing in your free time?”

She pulled in a breath, trying to be inconspicuous about it so that she didn’t appear weak. It wasn’t so much that she feared him attacking her for what she planned to say; she was more than capable of defending herself if she needed to, and Talia doubted he would make such a move while they were in public. She was a bit worried, though, about the security of her job of whoever he might report her to believed his word over hers. She could only hope his reputation precluded that.

“How do your crimes hold up to those of Ekirdis? They were certainly enough to have you sent to Arkham, at least until the Minister took enough of a liking to you to let you out. I don’t know how Raczidian got the dementors to obey him, but I’m sure a favor like that was enough to make you Cobblepot’s little lapdog. He only saved you from the consequences of… how many murders? Two? More? I’m not sure you’re in a position to lecture about what deserves to get someone fired, Mr. Nygma. I’m here purely for the purposes of Department of Mysteries research.”

Words: 616
Notes:
PM
^
edward nygma
 Posted: 14 Apr 2018, 09:56 PM

He interrupted her almost instantly with a scoff as she seemed reluctant to admit he had made good points. Of course he had, he was a genius of the highest order, all that came from his lips were ‘good points’. And even when people seemed to overlook that significant fact about himself, he was the Chief of Staff of this Ministry, and a damn good one too. He knew everything there was to know about the contents of this building, and his strategic mind was put to task every day, so it should not be a surprise to anyone who worked here that he was the sort of man to reel off ‘good points’ so easily.

And perhaps he wouldn’t have been stuck on such a simple turn of phrase if it wasn’t for the fact Ed was currently trying desperately to claw back any semblance of who he was before the news of his parents’ deaths had rocked his world so thoroughly he had fallen to pieces and not yet been able to put himself back together correctly. It made it a lot easier to reply to her first rally back at him though, as his mind was already fixated on why he was even bothering with this damn job anyway. The only reasons he’d settled on so far were because he was good at it, and because it was a favour to Oswald. The latter argument wouldn’t help him much here, but the former could explain away everything. “I am familiar with everything that falls within my jurisdiction,” he replied, trying to come off as natural and relaxed, like he barely needed to think about his reply to her because it was oh so obvious. But there was a sense of tension that hadn’t left his voice since the bombshell had first been dropped – he hadn’t felt relaxed since then after all. “I also have an eidetic memory, so it’s not exactly like it was difficult to learn which books the Ministry owned already and which we needed to consider acquiring. That being said, I actually do have the authority to peruse these readings whenever I choose, and my motive for doing so if I did take that opportunity would be none of your business. Such things are too far above your head my dear.”

He wasn’t even sure why he was bothering to engage here, why he’d dropped the need to get her out of the vicinity so easily. He seemed to have forgotten his own state right now, and the fact that his hiding here was as much to avoid his reputation being damaged by the wrong person catching sight of him like this as it was for concentration purposes. But his guard was dropped so low at the moment that he’d been drawn into conversation with minimal provocation, putting up no fight against the obvious impulse to just answer when spoken to. Though that was something he would regret when she rounded on him again all of a sudden.

On any other day, he would have had a hundred things to say to her, from how dare she speak to him that way to descriptions of exactly how he would make her life hell for doing so. And yet he seemed to be… stalled now instead. No words reached his lips at all in fact, not even the indignant squeak that usually accompanied the rare occurrences he was actually left speechless. Rather than the words bouncing off his well crafted armour, they seemed to have sunk right through, Ed’s expression looking more defeated than it did angry or offended. And in fact when he did actually react it was to let his hands lift to his forehead again, fingers tangling in his own hair as he took a moment to close his eyes and block out the rest of the world.

This was not the time nor the place for such a reaction though, and regardless of who this woman was, such a clear break from the norm, such a clear display of weakness, could only damage any intimidation factor he still held in the Ministry. And yet… “I know what the Department of Mysteries is currently looking into, and this is not it." He ignored the vast majority of what she'd said, unable to muster any fight against it, and instead focused in on the part that was reminiscent of the argument he'd previously been winning. "And even if you have suddenly changed direction in your research, you don’t have permission to be here. Go to Minister Cobblepot, get your little permission slip, then come back.” Because in that time Ed could be gone. Although he was partially considering obliviating this woman the moment her back was turned actually so maybe he wouldn’t have to leave at all...

talia al ghul / 696
most annoying Ed tag to write ever because normally he would LEAP at the chance to argue with her over something like this but he's just not in the right mindset right now
PMEmail
^
talia al ghul
 Posted: 21 Apr 2018, 05:15 PM

I can feel the flames
on my skin
At the sound of his scoff, Talia’s lips twitched toward a scowl. He couldn’t even let her begin to reply without needing to interject and attempt to demean her, could he? She hadn’t entered the library intending to get so riled up so quickly. In fact, this had been the last thing she’d expected upon entering. She’d had her share of workplace scuffles, but never here. She’d thought looking for a book was the closest she could come to doing something utterly peaceful at the Ministry, even if she was looking for something severely illegal and ill-advised. And yet, the world seemed determined to rain on her parade. She couldn’t even manage to look for a book without running into someone who needed to prove himself better than her, smarter than her, with his eidetic memory and his knowledge of absolutely everything this section held. Talia wasn’t one to be bested in any form, especially when she hadn’t even entered the situation expecting it to devolve into a competition. She was perhaps at her most confrontational when she hadn’t gone looking for trouble and it had found her anyway. After all, how dare anyone seek her out when she was simply trying to get through a day and find a reason to agitate her? She’d been having a perfectly pleasant day, being at work aside, until he’d demanded she abandon her quest and leave.

She was half-tempted to send a Body-Bind Curse in his direction. To watch him freeze and lose his ability to fire scathing retorts back at her, to feel superior until she tired of it and found her books and left with him still sitting there, unable to move. But if she were to do anything of the sort, she suspected Aurors would be at her door before she could even return home, ordered by the Minister to take retribution for Talia daring to harm Nygma.

Though her fingers flexed on instinct toward where her wand was stored in her pocket, she willed them to relax again. She couldn’t afford to do anything too rash. But they couldn’t punish her too terribly for her tongue, could they?

“Well, congratulations on your memory. I’m sure it provides you with another unearned advantage over the rest of us lowly drones. Perhaps your position here is above my head, but I have to wonder where you would be if you hadn’t managed to, ah… ‘cozy up’ to the Minister. It isn’t like you jumped past everyone on the ladder here through your own talents. Which, as far as I can tell, are an excellent memory, a propensity for green clothing, and whatever you do with the Minister behind closed doors to keep yourself on that pedestal of yours. I wonder how you’d fare if you had to solve your own problems for once.”

The tension in his voice did not go unnoticed. Nor did his refusal to engage with her litany of insults. This was not Nygma at his finest, at his peak. He was off his game, and whatever had left him this way, Talia had no idea. But she saw a weakness within him that she hadn’t realized he’d had before, and it sparked something within her that she couldn’t ignore. He was an obstacle on her way to the top, but perhaps he was no longer an immovable one.

“‘You don’t have permission to be here,’ hm? That’s the best you have? I have to say, I’m a little disappointed. But yes, Mr. Nygma, I’m sure I could get an official ‘permission slip’ and come back.” Her tone was smooth and confident. Despite her anger, seeing that small fracture within him was enough to renew her resolve and her self-assurance.

Words: 623
Notes: she's such a playground bully. i'm sure ed is qualified for his job and she's just refusing to acknowledge it lol
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

PORTKEYS

Shadowplay Candyland Couture

HOS Rise of the Believers X-Generation: X-Men Roleplay

YOUR BUTTON HERE!<------- HG OHaV The Beginning Taking It Back INCREDIBLE TO INFINITY AND BEYOND UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED ------->YOUR BUTTON HERE!

skin created by Jenna of shine, caution, atf, candyland, and wecode.